Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall, straight weed is killing my lawn.

Posted by theweedmonster 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 17:31

Hello everyone,

I need help identifying this weed. I've tried all of the online identification guides and searched this forum thoroughly and I can't seem to find it.

The fully mature version of this plan has multiple yellow flower pods coming out of it. It's also very hairy at the stem (not too much at the leaves) and the mature ones are sticky. I've tried pulling them out but they come back so quickly that they are starving my lawn.

I'm in southern California in Riverside.

Thanks for you help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall, straight weed is killing my lawn.

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 23:11

Take a sample to the Extension Service office. Most likely the Master Gardeners will know what it is.

o

The Master Gardeners at your local Cooperative Extension office might be able to identiufy it but if they can't they can find someone who can.

o

Looks like Horseweed (Marestail) to me.

o

Me too. If you can pull the complete plant you will get rid of that plant. If you only cut the top of the plant off your cutting will stimulate new growth from the cut surface. Marestail around here likes very dry soil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here