Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cottonwood Seedling Infestation

Posted by araknes z8 WA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 18:29

This is our first year in this house and discovered that there is a large grove of cottonwood trees in a greenbelt down the street. During spring our yard was covered with cotton -- we tried to clean it up but obviously didn't do a very good job because all of our planting beds, flagstone joints, and gravel paths have been full of cottonwood seedlings all sprint and summer. I pull out buckets of this stuff every week but a few days later it's as thick as ever. It seems endless! Any suggestions to get rid of all these seedlings growing in my mulch? I'm debating re-mulching but am worried that somehow the cottonwoods will find their way through and I'll be pulling them out again in a few weeks.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cottonwood Seedling Infestation

From my experience, I'm afraid you're stuck with them.
Pulling is the only way to effectively reduce numbers but you must get down below the crown or they grow back.
They do kill with round-up and 24D but the dead stocks will need to be pulled anyway.
Good solid ground cover will stop them from sprouting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here