Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How did you get rid of Perennial Sowthistle Sonchus arvensis

Posted by robicho 4a CANADA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 18:40

Hello All,
I've got an infestation of Perennial Sowthistle in my garden and wonder how you got rid of yours? I'm in an area of Ontario, Canada where chemical pesticides are banned.

Because it spreads underground by a huge inter-twining root highway, I'm thinking of building myself a soil screen and digging up my garden area-by-area and attempt to control it that way.

Any less 'back-breaking' ideas out there??
Thanks
Berni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How did you get rid of Perennial Sowthistle Sonchus arvensis

Sorry ... not 'pesticides' ... should have said 'chemical weed control products' ! LOL

o

"Pesticide" has very broad meanings that include herbicides and insecticides, so your use was correct.
Sowthistle spreads vegetativley as well as by seeds and rhizomes so control can be somewhat difficult. To gain control of the area they are growing in now cover the plants with newspaper or cardboard and cover that with a mulch material, or dig them out.
Ontario is ahead of the curve on environmental protection as well as protecting human beings from the adverse affects of the poisons they have banned.

o

Hoe it out every time is shows up. That will starve the roots. Deer and sheep also prefer it, however they won't kill the plant unless penned there, which from personal experience doesn't do the garden veggies and flowers any good.

Apparently the Luddites are alive and well in Ontario.

o

Not luddites, but intelligent people concerned with what many are doing to the planet we live on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here