Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleysf_gw

Leaves dropped from herbicide use harmful?

ashleysf
14 years ago

I have a chain link fence infested with ivy like growth. There is 80 ft long fence worth of this stuff spilling over into both my neighbor's and my backyard. The previous owner planted it because he did not want to spend on a privacy fence. Anyhow, it has slowly taken over one side of my land. I pulled the suckers out manually 3 years ago. They are back now, bigger and better. I took a piece of it to my local nursery and they told me to use a Brush Killer on it. i was about to apply it (Ortho Brush Bgone) when I thought of all the leaves that would fall off the plant if it dies. Would they have absorbed the herbicide and hence be poisonous? In which case they would be poisonous to small children and animals, right??? Even if I removed 99% of it after it dies, there is a chance of some of those leaves lying in my or the neighbor's yard. So, if anyone came in contact with them or ate one of those leaves (not intentionally), it would harm them, right? My neighbor has 2 small dogs and I have toddlers, hence this scenario is quite possible. I wanted to check with the experts here before moving any further on it. Any help is appreciated.

Comment (1)