Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
killing sticker burs in a bermuda field

Posted by maine64 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 20:39

Good evening,
We have a field on our property that is filled with (sand burs)sticker burs. We want to keep the bermuda grass, but kill the weeds. Is there any weed/feed that would be available to use. My husband mows and bags the acreage before they seed. Please any information would be helpful so that we can enjoy the property that we have invested in.

Thank you
maine64

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: killing sticker burs in a bermuda field

Hi,
I have the same problem,please help.
Thank you

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 21:09

Common names lead to confusion. I have had three things commonly called "sand burs" in my experience, mainly because they all grow well in sandy soils. One is longspine sand burr, Cenchrus longispinus. Another is puncturevine, Tribulus terrestis, and the other is common cocklebur, Xanthium strumarium. You might google them and indicate which you are referring to. Thanx.
hortster

o

Hi,sorry "maine64" dont mean to intrude on your post.I am new and hope that is acceptable to do this.

I have "longspine sandbur".

Thank You

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 12:27

First, you have a very tough weed with which to deal. There are effective post-emergent products but they are generally not available to the homeowner. Constant mowing and disposal of the clippings and any seed is important. There are pre-emergent weed controls for sandbur - probably your best bet. Pendimethalin is labeled for homeowner use, but you probably should contact your local extension service to see if anything else is more effective. Sandburs can be either annuals or short lived perennials, so it will take constant attention for more than one season to reduce the population.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here