Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vicious, hard to identify texas lawn weed

Posted by jbrower Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 22:00

Ok, I give up. I've been all over the web, searching images, univ agriculture pages, commercial sites, etc. trying to identify a vicious weed I'm fighting with hours every week.

I have found one guy who posted a pic, but nobody answered him:

http://www.permies.com/t/15983/lawn/identifying-weed

This is the *only* pic I've found. What is this weed?

Characteristics
-taproot
-thin, small, narrow, somewhat curly leaves
-very small yellow and white flowers
-prostrate -- grows in tufts or mat forming
-easily dominates Bermuda grass -- just kicks its ass
-loves heat (sun or shade)
-NOT spurge or knotweed, please study the pic carefully

Location / Yard
-Plano, Texas
-Bermuda grass

In 7 years, I've never seen this before. It's as if an invasive species was brought into our neighborhood on an as-yet-unknown vector. Two of my neighbors have been completely overrun -- they have little grass left. I'm barely holding my own by digging this thing out every weekend.

I would normally never use chemicals -- but in this case, I need to know what the dang thing is and what I can use on it. Otherwise it's just a matter of time until more neighbors get overrun, seeds are blowing everywhere, and I can no longer keep up.

Thanks everyone in advance for your advice.

-Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vicious, hard to identify texas lawn weed

the pic. It's not a very good pic. Can you show a pic of your own?

o

Please post an image of your own weed. If you can't do it, perhaps a neighbor/friend/relative can help you.

o

More images are here:

http://s21.postimg.org/5k2a5k2lz/matweed1.jpg
http://s13.postimg.org/6ftcx9ymf/matweed2.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/edz0u5mfb/matweed3.jpg

The first one shows the flatness and slightly blue-green color that helps this weed hide in Bermuda grass. The second shows the leaves are clearly not spurge or knotweed. The third shows a section of my neighbor's yard, which has been overrun in about 4 weeks time -- the weed is very aggressive.

Still the best image is the one in my original post. I posted that one because a) it's a better closeup than what I can do with my cameras, and b) it is -- as I mentioned -- the only matching pic I can find anywhere on the web. No one could identify his pic either, which is a big part of my concern.

Thanks.

-Jeff

o

Have you contacted your county's agricultural agent? Texas seems to take invasive plants much more seriously than most states, so your agent might be interested in an unknown, and might know what has shown up recently. The only thing I could find that is similar to what you've got is peganum harmala, African Rue (aka Syrian Rue). Dotted bridal veil (gibasis pellucida) also caught my eye, but I think the leaves are wrong.
I hope that someone more knowledgeable will be able to help, but I still think a call to the county agent may be of help. Good luck with this.

This post was edited by lisanti07028 on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 22:09

o

I have tried twice to edit this, to no avail. The names of the plants are peganum harmala and gibasis pellucida. I apologize for the typos.

o

Use this map to locate your county's Extension Service office
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

o

Your new links:

o

I hope that you are still checking in - this thread (link below) just got resurrected, and I wonder if this is what you're dealing with. Take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW posting on slender aster

o

Wiki

Here is a link that might be useful: Slender Aster

o

Wiki

Here is a link that might be useful: Slender Aster

o

purpleinopp. please tell me the name of the weed in #2

o

I'm sorry, IDK what it is. You might want to compare it to Polypremum procumbens, but it may be something else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here