Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
These pics were sent by a friend

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 10, 10 at 0:50

A friend sent this to me this afternoon. It's a plant and the other one is a vine. I saw it when I went there last time. He pulled but it keeps coming back.

I also have a vine that looks very similar to it. I saw it in 2007. It was 1 foot long. I dug the area until I could no longer see any roots. Anyways, after 3 years, I saw it again. :(

Anyways, here are the pictures from my friend. Hopefully someone can id it and help us how to get rid of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: These pics were sent by a friend

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 10, 10 at 12:52

I believe the vine is bindweed and the other plant is a mulberry.
hortster

o

are they easy to remove? Mine came back after 3 years.

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 10, 10 at 16:33

Both plants have root systems from hades. Constant removal each time they rear their ugly heads is the best answer. Get all that you can each time. Tenacity!
hortster

o

Bindweed can have an extensive root system that will allow regrowth if not completely removed but birds eat the seeds and drop them and these seeds germinate and grow and that is more likely what you had after 3 years, reseeding.
Mulberries grow from seeds so if someone is seeing Mulberry trees growing in their garden there is one around, somewhere that the birds eat the fruit of and drop the seeds that germinate and grow. If new growth from those roots is not cut off fairly quickly the roots can grow enough to allow new growth from those roots, but diligence in keeping any new growth cut off which then deprives the roots of needed nutrients so the roots die is necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here