Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonnerm79

Dealing With Those Pesky Weeds

tonnerm79
14 years ago

Weeds are a nuisance; they appear quickly, push their way in beside plants and shrubs, and take over your whole garden. Take your garden back and keep those pesky weeds under control! Here's how...

This might seem hard to believe, but to some folk weeds are seen as being quite attractive to their garden. Weeds such dandelions, daisies and buttercups can look very humble and innocent. Don't be fooled! Without a moments notice these weeds can take over your entire garden, smothering your the plants that you want to be growing in your outdoor living space.

Time to take control and kick mother nature's butt!

Before I go any further, I must point out that I am not recommending using any chemicals or toxic weed killers. We just want to kill the weeds in our garden, not killing our environment, that would be kicking mother nature's butt a bit too hard.

Weeds can be controlled both before and after they emerge from the ground. The most effective way of dealing with weeds that have emerged is using a bit of old fashioned elbow grease. Get down on your knees and with a long handle tool with sharp prongs, grip the weeds and yank them right out from the ground, making sure you've taken out the root of your victim or else they will grow back. I know it will involve quite a lot of effort on your part and granted it may be not the best way to spend your weekends or days off, but this kind of manual labour is far more effective than spraying some weed killer down and waiting to see if takes effect. Believe me you'll thank yourself later.

Once that's done and your garden is looking weed free, it's time to take action against the weeds that are sitting under the soil waiting for their moment to emerge. DON'T GIVE THEM THE CHANCE!!! Use mulch covering such as tree bark chips or a black plastic liner and lay it over the soil and around the plants. Doing this can not only retain the moisture in the soil, but also can block the sunlight getting to the weeds underground.

One last tip, keep your lawn fertilised as without the proper nutrients in the soil your grass won't grow as it should and instead sprout big ugly deep rooted weeds...not good.

Once all this done, go out to your garden, sit back, relax and admire the work you've done. Well done!

You can read more by visiting my website Home Living Garden at http://www.homelivinggarden.co.cc

Comment (1)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

What you are supposed to do with that kind of promotion is pay Garden Web for ad space.