Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Blisters from something in flower bed...

Posted by alanis Z4 IA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 12:23

Ok, hope it's ok to post here on this forum.

Twice this year I have broke out in blisters on my wrists and even on my neck. This developed, after I've been weeding in my flower bed. I had gloves and long sleeves on, but my sleeve must have raised when I was weeding. Once in June and again a week ago!! I've been told it could be wild parsnip, wild mustard or poison ivy. I've looked at images and have not seen any of these villain in my beds. It's similar to poison ivy reaction. Anyone have info they might share on this? I'm on prednisone since yesterday and will be so happy when this itch stops.

I am ready to totally dig up my flowers!! This is very painful !! Thanks for your help! If I'm in the wrong forum please accept my apology.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

Do you grow any Euphorbias? They have a milky sap which can cause a nasty rash. You could also try posting some photos of your beds and seeing if someone here can spot the culprit.


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

While the most common plants that cause allergic dermatitis are the Poison Ivy, Oaks, and Sumacs there are many others that can also, and often what did cause that allergic dermatitis may not be something well known. if you can for sure eliminate Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, or Poison Sumac then you need to look for others. To reduce the chance for allergic dermatitis wash well after gardening with strong soaps such as Fels Naptha.

Here is a link that might be useful: Causes of allergic dermatitis


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

Mugwort, nettle, rue, tansy, regular ivy are regular offenders in the dermatitis category. You could be allergic to a specific plant that isn't one of the usuals, as well. What have you got growing where you were working? What trres or bushes could have dropped some pollen on you? Any medication you are on could be reacting weirdly with something too.
I hope you get it figured out, so you don't have to dig up your plants!


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

I don't have any Euphorbia in my garden. I looked at the images that you posted, and I don't see any of those in my flower beds.

No trees in my flower bed. Not on any meds. I did have a few vining plants that I pulled out but they weren't leaves of three.

How do I post pictures?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!!


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

"How do I post pictures...?" At the top of this page there's a blue highlighted text 'How to upload images'.


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

  • Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 13:19

Alanis, one persons reaction to contact with a plant can be so different to someone elses, it's hard to say what caused your discomfort. There are specific plants that may cause a dermatitis in some, but yours could be something no one else might experience.

You might try going inside and washing arms, face, hands with lots of warm soapy water when you've finished weeding and before you notice symptoms if that's possible. Maybe change your shirt too and put it in the laundry. I was encountering something picking wild berries one year that I never did identify (the offending native, not the berries :)) and a wipe with an alcohol pad from the first aid kit once back in the truck helped stop the itching and irritation.

I'm fine with the euphorbias, monkshood, many of those commonly causing problems for others but I will never, ever open hellebore seed pods to extract the seeds with bare fingers again - that was painful for days....

But if you could post photos or at least tell us what is in that bed where you've found you have problems, we might be able to tell you the most likely candidate that you could then remove.


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

I may not be much help, having never been to IA or gardened in Z4, but I've done some fairly extensive investigation in this area also, the past few years, trying to figure out what was giving me a rash. Happy to try to help also!

Some of the ones I think you might have up there... Ipomoeas and Asclepias (milkweed) can have latex sap. (Morning glory, bindweed. White, milky sap can indicate the presence of latex, but not always, and clear sap can have latex.) Virginia creeper and wild grape vines are often blamed for contact dermatitis. Sonchus (one of the dandelions also has latex sap.)

If you have any house/potted plants that you were also pruning or taking cuttings, those are worth mentioning also. May suspects among that crowd as well.


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

Here's an idea to tell you which plant reacted to your skin....I realize it was a painful rash, but you could go back into the garden and expose your skin to each plant to different areas of your arms or legs......similar to what a dermatologist would do......that way you will know what plant to avoid or get rid of.......just a thought......


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

Depending on the severity and frequency of this reaction Alanis may want to consider consulting an Allergist rather then a Dermatologist.


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

Rue (ruta graveolens) and giant hogweed (hieracleum mantegazanni) are 2 plants which immediately come to mind, especially after exposure to sunlight It would surely be helpful to have some images to identify which plants are possible culprits, to save you from being further afflicted.


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

The discussion I started about this in the Alabama forum has become general enough to be helpful in any location. And so is my apparent new sensitivity to several types of plants. My long-time friend, heart-leaf Philodendron now gives me a rash, as well as long-time decorative accent, sweet potato vine.

Anyway, there are a whole lot of plants out there that can give *some* people a rash, sometimes...! So strange!

Here is a link that might be useful: rash discussion


 o
RE: Blisters from something in flower bed...

Alanis, did you ever figure out why you got a rash?


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here