Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Odd Vine?weed with huge seed pods

Posted by swhitehurst Allentown PA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 12:26

Ok, I've check this site and others trying to find out what this thing is before i cut everything down. about a month ago this vine blumed and had huge clusters of small white flowers that i could swear smelled like jasmin? i mean just like it. Anyway, I let it run its course. Now there are dozens of large (plum sized) green hairy, not stiff spines. it seems there are 4 HUGE seeds in each one of these that drop out the bottom when it matures. Thery are very dark chocolate in color, flat and fairly large. ANY thoughts. the smell of these flowers was fantastic and it nothing I planted? All the posts i see are for things in the milkthislte family, but the pods are not right...and in very cold and wet valley area in PA??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Odd Vine?weed with huge seed pods

Picture would help in identification,
From your description, -- compare with Echinocystis lobata.

o

add a pic plz

o

I think I know what you have.
A white Wisteria.. Without more info, could be american or chinese
The pod starts out green and fuzzy, then turns a light brown just before they pop open and the seed is flat on one side slightly raised on the other.Like Old fashioned chocolate drop.
becareful. The seeds are toxic to pets and people.
I pull the pods right before they open.
Hope that helps you.

o

The seeds are described as plum sized. Wisteria has pods like beans, not plum like fruit. We really need a picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here