Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
photosensitive weeds-toxicicity and animals

Posted by ranchgal (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 14:02

i've got a few pictures up on my blog. If anyone can identify these i'd really appreciate it. You'll see the pictures of my pet pig and what one of these (or others not pictured) did to my pig when he ate it.

buckwheat
wild spurges
st. johns wort
lantana
alsike clovers

all are photosensitive toxic agents to animals. Please take care and familiarize yourself to them if you have animals. They are very toxic. this plant didn't kill my pet but its made our lives awful for the last month...

also if you do have animals and weeds, get some activated charcoal to keep on hand. I'm sure this is what saved him.

The weeds yet unidentified are here:

(scroll down under the piggy pictures)

http://jojosfarmlife.blogspot.com/2007/09/photosensitive-plants-animals-and.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: photosensitive weeds-toxicicity and animals

Did you take your pig to the vet. His poor skin looks more like a lice infection than some thing he ate. Look deep in his ears to see if there is any movement. They may look like dried skin flakes.

o

Yes thanks for your concern. piggy is being seen by a vet. that is why he is convinced its a phototoxicity issue. No lice. we worm regularily.

In my research and requests i've found a few of the weeds and what they are. But still have a few more unidentified. if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

o

Please note that we "human animals" can be affected by these plants, too! In particular, buckwheat greens (i.e., the plant tops, as distinguished from the seeds, which are not phototoxic) are sometimes used as a salad green, in green smoothies, or for juicing, and St. Johnswort is a medicinal herb used to alleviate depression.

I am in the process of healing from the effects of including buckwheat greens in my daily diet. I'll post a link to a really good article that tells what it's like.

Sorry I don't recognize any of your mystery plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buckwheat Toxicity Article

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here