Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thorny, monsterous looking weed ID

Posted by oatlord Georgia (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 19, 08 at 15:13

We have this weed growing in our field that looks like an absolute monster. It's low-growing with thorns on the edges of the leaf and purple stems. I've included a picture of this beast. I appreciate any help identifying this thing. Thanks.

Image link: Thorny, monsterous looking weed ID (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thorny, monsterous looking weed ID

That looks to me like one of the Fall Dandelions. Does it get many stalks of small yellow flowers?

o

There are no flowers as of yet. I took another picture with a glove next to it for scale.

I looked up fall dandelions, and it looks like it could be it, but it's not a perfect match.

These do not have tap roots. They have very big horizontal roots running out from them.

o
RE: Thorny, monsterous looking weed ID link

Forgot to include the link to the picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28666955@N08/2877554344/

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 30, 08 at 0:31

To me, the leaves look fuzzy, the edges armed with prickly thorns.

If so, I'd say it's a thistle.

o

Looks like a thistle to me too. If it has large roots running horizontally, it would be one of the perennial thistles and you don't want to let it get started. Chop off or pull every one you see before it gets established or you will have years of herbicide application ahead of you to get rid of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here