Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple berries mystery plant?

Posted by kitchendetective 8B (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 16:42

Can anyone identify this? Should I try to get rid of it? I found it on my property in Central Texas. It's a single plant that is about 5' high and 4' wide, roughly. The berries are pea size. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple berries mystery plant? Nevermind

Apparently, it's Callicarpa americana or Purple Beauty Berry. The weird thing is, the plant has been here for years, but I've never seen these berries before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beauty Berry

o
RE: Purple berries mystery plant?

Love that beautyberry!

If you have just way too much of it, take some to your area's next plant swap (check out the Texas Forum), or post it on craigslist or freecycle.

o

I live in the Piney Woods of East Texas. This plant is prolific in the 10 acres of woods I have. You can not readely kill it as even if you cut it down at the dirt level it will be back up in no time. It has a sweet smell (when cut or crushed) to it that is quite plesent. But will grow with absoulty no effort or care of anyone but God.

Any one want any I would be more than glad to send you some. :) To us in this area it is more of a weed and pest than anything. But you know a weed is just a plant growing in the wrong place. :)

o

There are people that spend a lot of money to get a Callicarpa. Like any plant that produces a fruit, which is nothing more than a means of spreading seed around, this can be a bit invasive, given all the right conditions. If this is happy where you are, and you are happy with it let it grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here