Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berries or weeds??

Posted by iKandyXotics 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 17:13

I noticed this is back this year??!! I have no idea if it is safe, if not I want to remove it asap!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berries or weeds??

Closeup!

o

A Solanum of some kind. Compare with S americanum.

o

Looks to me like Nightshade, a plant from which Belladonna is derived. Belladonna has been used for heart conditions as well as arthritis, although it can be a deadly poison. Most people consider this relative of the tomato, potato, pepper, egg plant, etc. to be a "weed" and eliminate it.

o

Thanks guys! Def. looks like the NighShade. I have this stuff growing everywhere!! i DEF. DO NOT want my 3 year old thinking this is a safe plant so , I just need totry and remove all that I see thank you guys so much!

o

kimmsr - there is persistent confusion on GW between Deadly Nightshade, ie Atropa belladonna, and and various Solanums called 'Nightshade' in common parlance. The plant pictured is a Solanum, not Atropa belladonna, and it is not the source of Atropine. Both are in the Family Solanaceae.

iKandyXotics - your plant is NOT the source of Atropine. BTW many of the images of Deadly Nightshade on Google image are incorrectly labelled.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solanum americanum

o

Ah ok. Thanks for the info. I would rather just get rif of them and plant something I am is 100% safe. Weather this is or not. Thanks again :D

o

Most gardeners would have some trouble distinguishing between the various cultivars of Nightshade so rather then confuse the issue, and since the plant has no real landscape value just suggest that it be pulled, whichever it is, out and gotten rid of.

o

They aren't various cultivars (plants purposely created by selective breeding) of nightshade. Nightshade is a common name applied in different places to plants of different genuses, without even getting to the species level. Solanums are not all called nightshade, usually, though common names are neither right or wrong, so very well could all be called Frederick or Gertrude if someone wanted.

The confusion is magnified by spreading such misinformation, kimmsr. This seems just like a repeat of a recent discussion, where you were told these things. The confusion seems to be being spread by you. Solanums contain solanine, Atropa contains atropine. Both alkaloids, but not the same thing at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here