Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by SBlakeS none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 19:01

I was picking blackberries in my back yard and realized I was completely surrounded with whatever this vine is. It is growing along the ground and covers quite a bit of my yard. There is also quite a bit that looks exactly like this except that the leaves are red. I don't think it's poison ivy but I want to be sure before I let my wife and daughter back there.

Image link: What is this? (61 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

I just did a vine identification on the internet and it looks like it may be blackberry still but none are growing.

o

• Posted by hortster 6A southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 20:21

The reason for that is that they are the first year's growth. First-year canes are called primocanes. They emerge from the soil and grow but do not fruit. Primocanes become floricanes the second year. Floricanes fruit and then die. Each cane lives only two years. Pinching (tipping) the top 2 to 3 inches of the primocanes increases branching and fruiting the next year, if you are into growing some blackberries. By the way, they can spread and get out of hand unless you maintain tight control!
hortster

o

Thank you. Glad to hear it's nothing dangerous. Haha. They are DEFINITELY out of control. I just bought this property and it was vacant for 2.5 years. I'll clear it as I can but in the meantime, I'm enjoying the blackberries. Thanks again for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here