Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I a weed?

Posted by handyman67 5b-OH (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 19:05

This lil guy showed up in the garden last year and despite not knowing what it was, I liked the blooms and let it do its' thing. Though the pic doesnt show it all that well, the blooms do have a very faint hint of yellow to them.

It seemed to do quite well with morning sun and then the rest of the day in full shade, and as you can tell it has a somewhat rambling growth habit, but isnt really aggressive.

This year it popped up elsewhere in a spot that gets full sun all day, is doing well, and theres evidence of substantial bloom, but the blooms dont seem to like full sun or the heat.

I've collected seed this year, so hopefully I'll be able to get a few of them to sprout for next year.

I think in a mass planting, it could look quite nice..

despite the old saw... "a weed is anything you dont want in your garden"... I'm quite curious as to what this lil guy is..

Does anyone have any idea what this is ?

*referring the plant in the center of the pic, not the sedum thats off to the left :o)

~Donald~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I a weed?

Oops, found the Name That Plant forum 10 seconds after this posted..

Sorry..

~D~

o

It kind of looks like it might be a Portulca, Moss Rose.

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 13:39

Just for clarification, the plant looks like Hibiscus trionum, "flower of an hour".
hortster

o

Don't worry about planting some seed next year--whatever fell on the ground will come up in spades. Flower of an Hour, also called Venice Mallow, is a prolific seeder and can be quite a weed where unwanted. Still, it does have an attractive flower. It usually doesn't start to grow until mid summer when the weather is warm. For me, that is just after the last cultivation.

So, if you do seed it, don't feel like it failed if it doesn't come up in the spring--wait until August before declaring failure.

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 17:00

One additon to beeone's comment - this species tends to multiply on BARE SOIL and will not occur in turf or tries very seldom where mulched beds occur. If the mulch is too thin, perhaps it might poke its head through, but tends to be a pioneer type plant, happy where none others yet exist. Gotta admit, a nice looking weed. And a hibiscus, yet!
hortster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here