Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoseman_gw

Surflan Pre-emergent

hoseman
12 years ago

I am new to this board. I did a search on Surflan but did not get any information. So, I will ask my question.

Does anyone have experience with this chemical? Unlike preem, it comes as a liquid. You can mix it with Roundup and use it as a weed killer and pre-emergence. This is what I have been looking for the last 10 years. I control weeds under my electric fence, around the backs of my shrub and flower borders for a buffer between them and the woods, as well as in the flower and shrubs beds. Surflan can be sprayed over many plants without harming them so it would applied before weeds germinated, late summer for winter annuals and early spring for summer weeds and grasses. Of course with adding roundup to the mix, obviously you can not spray over the flowers and shrubs.

I have a couple of questions for those who have used Surflan, with or without mixing with roundup.

What would be the consequences if it was applied too heavy?

Would there be an environmental concern? Or would the concern be a buildup in the soil, thus making the soil sterile and you would unable to till and plant in that area for a number of months or years.

How effective has Surlfan been in preventing weeds and grasses? Does the effectiveness last as long as the label state, depending on the concentration, 4-8 months?

If any of the surflan get on walkways or vinyl fence posts, does it stain and if so, is it permanent or will it wash off with the first rain?

Does it lose its effectiveness if rain does not come for a few days or weeks after it has been put down? As I understand the label it is not activated to become effective until it has been watered in. I have too large an area to irrigate it into the soil, I have to wait for rain to wash it into the soil to make the barrier.

I appreciate any help offered. The label does not answer these questions. Experience has to answer these questions.

Comments (15)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Q: "Surflan can be sprayed over many plants without harming them"
    A: Not if you mix it with Roundup.

Q: "What would be the consequences if it was applied too heavy?
    A: You wouldn't be following the label directions. Less than stated is permitted, more than state isn't.

Q: "Would there be an environmental concern?"
    A: Yes. You would be exceeding the amount stated on the label, a legal document.

Q: "Does it lose its effectiveness if rain does not come for a few days or weeks after it has been put down? ... I have too large an area to irrigate it into the soil"
    A: Then you need to time the application with an expected rainfall, just as the label states.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

I can find nothing about "Oryzalin, 3,5-dinitro-N4N4-dipropylsulfanilamide" the active ingrediant in Surflan to lead me to believe it is something i would want to add to my environment.
    There are much less expensive and more envrinmentally friendly measn of "weed" control.

• hoseman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Label, what's a label?

Jean, I am well aware of what the label states and I plan on compling with it. So, please relax!

Obviously,you have no experience with using the product or you would know the application rate has a wide range of variance and that you figure that rate by calibrating your personal sprayer. Human judgement and common sense is used to do this, so probably no two people would come up with the same rate of application.

My questions were addressed to someone who has experience using the product, not opinions.

Kimmsr, I appreciate you taking the time to respond with facts. But, what is it about the active ingredient that makes you not want to add it to the environment? What harm does it cause?

• henry_kuska
    12 years ago

Scientists use it to double chromosomes.

http://members.tripod.com/~h_syriacus/tetraploidy.htm

Also, see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Scholar link for surflan

• henry_kuska
    12 years ago

Preem does the same thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for Preem

• jean001a
    12 years ago

'Twas said "calibrating your personal sprayer. Human judgement and common sense is used to do this, so probably no two people would come up with the same rate of application. "

Umm, it's like this. Calibration is a specific process so that all persons applying the same dose will get it right.

Univ of Missouri
    Calibration for field sprayer
    http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G1270

Another for calibrating & calculating herbicide rates
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/cropsystems/DC3885.html

Now, Calibrating home use sprayers for pesticides --
    Calibrating Hand-held and Backpack Sprayers for Applying Pesticides
    http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/456/456-502/456-502.html

You'll find lots more if you search for "calibrate pesticide home sprayer" or "calibrate pesticide agricultural sprayer" -- no quotes -- use phrase which describes your needs.

Oh yeah. I've taken pesticide training, was certified in CA, and have taught the classes.

Any other questions?

• henry_kuska
    12 years ago

"Homology-modeled ligand-binding domains of medaka estrogen receptors and androgen receptors: A model system for the study of reproduction"

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006291X09000850

AND

"Surflan� and oryzalin impair reproduction in the teleost medaka (Oryzias latipes)"

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0141113606001668

• Beeone
    12 years ago

Hoseman: I've never used it so really can't answer your questions, however here are a few things I've found about these things.

If the label says it will control weeds for 4-6 months, then it probably won't harm anything you seed 12 months after application. However, if the label lists extended replant intervals on some crops, it will have some residual that these sensitive plant families will be damaged by, even if nothing else. I can think of one herbicide that you can generally plant 12-18 months after application, except sugar beets which need 3-4 years.

If you don't get 1/2" or so of rain during the recommended interval after application or live where rain is sparse or unreliable, you can do a shallow incorporation to get the same effect as rain. This would mean to stir it into the top 1-2 inches of the soil.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

My objection to the active ingrediant in Surflan is that it appears to adversly affect our genetics.

• henry_kuska
    12 years ago

One of the original questions asked was:
    "Would there be an environmental concern?"
    -------------------------------------
    Then later: "But, what is it about the active ingredient that makes you not want to add it to the environment? What harm does it cause?"
    --------------------------------------
    H. Kuska comment. There are chemicals that will cause health problems immediately. These are easy to test for. But, there are also chemicals that could cause problems in 20 to say 60 years. How does one handle these? One has a choice. One can be a "beta tester" on what harm it may cause in the long run; or one can apply the precautionary principle when science indicates that there is a possible "tip of an iceberg" question about its safety.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for PAN info

• badacresmama
    12 years ago

I bought a 2.5 gallon container of Surflan last year, then DH sprayer broke, so I didn't use it. I have a bumper-crop of sandburs in the lawn this year and I want to use it now, with a hose-end sprayer. BUT I lost the Surflan instructions! Can anyone tell me what the surflan-to-water ratio is? The label says it contains Oxyzalin 3.5 (41%, with inert ingredients 59%) My lawn is a mess, I've got to keep these stickers from sprouting next year! Any help is appreciated!

• Beeone
    12 years ago

Bad Acres: Go to this site and search for the brand name. You will get a new label you can print out.

http://www.cdms.net/LabelsMsds/LMDefault.aspx?t=1

• badacresmama
    12 years ago

Thanks Beeone! I printed the label, so now I can try to calculate the ratio of Surflan to Water. That is a good start! Much appreciate the info!!!!

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

People sometimes wonder why I so strongly oppose the use of most of these unnecessary "weed" controls or killers and it is simply because we have around us 8 EPA superfund sites that are cleaning up after chemical companies dumped their waste and it has contaminated the groundwater. We were assured by the chemists that dumping that waste would not be a problem and what they did not say was that these chemicals they dumped mixed together, a synergistic effect, and created a much more dangerous chemical then either one was before, so now 50 years later the EPA is still pumping out the groundwater, filtering it to remove the contaminanats, and then sending it out at great expense to you and me.
    Every one that applies one or more of these poisons is poisoning the water I drink and potentially adversly affecting future generations. Keep in mind that all the water we have right now is all the water we will ever have, no more is being made and we recycle every bit of water. Any of the water you use has been recycled many times. Cosing your eyes or mind to that does not make it any less true.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville