Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kev_in_texas

This weed is encroaching on my Bermuda grass.

Kev-in-Texas
12 years ago

First post everyone! Hello and Help! My lawn is a thing of beauty, but we're surrounded by fields full of weeds. We've noticed this year a certain weed is making it's way from the fields to our lawn.

Recently I sprayed the hose attached ORTHO WEED-B-GONE FOR SOUTHERN LAWNs... I think I heard these weeds laughing at me... they're still green as can be.

Please help me identify and suggest a method to rid my lawn of it's presence! We are in Dallas Texas and have Bermuda grass.

HELP!~

Image link:

Comments (12)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Your herbicide of choice is for broad leaf weeds not grassy stuff. This weed, judging only by the photograph, appears to be one of the latter. Take a sample to your nearest extension office for a proper identification and recommendation for control. I'm pretty good (usually) at identifying weeds, but I can't really tell much from this image. For example, is that a flower associated with this weed? Perhaps if we could see the flower, it might make it easier to classify.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

The label on that product clearly states it is for broad leaf "weeds" and what you need is something for grssy "weeds". There may not be anything available to you to use without also killing you Bermuda grass.
    Check with the people at your counties office of the Texas A & M Cooperative Extensionm Service.

• hortster
    12 years ago

Rhizo, I know you don't like to shoot from the hip and that diagnosis is much more accurate with a clearer photograph of the weed itself and the flower, but, Kev-in-Texas, you might google skeleton weed or Texas skeleton weed and compare. May or may not be. Looks very similar to me. I'll now put away my 6-shooter.
    hortster

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Hey, Hortster! That does look a lot like it; I don't think that I've ever seen that one. Kev...you'll need some help with this one. Be sure to talk to your local extension office.

• Kev-in-Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, Thank you everyone! And yes, I did spray for broad leaf weeds.. my bad :) but I was reaching!

Skeleton weed, wow, that MIGHT be it (from looking at Google images)!! I did notice some in a field that had purple flowers as well as white flowers. NICE CALL!

Excuse my botanical ignorance, but when you guys say extension office, what do you mean? I did email someone at A&M and Texas Tech too to see if I get a response.

Thank you everyone! Now, to find something that will kill this thing. Maybe I can post the other photos I snapped tonight.

• lisanti07028
    12 years ago

Many, if not all, counties have agricultural extension agents, who can advise you and point you in the right direction, if you need more help. Check your phone book's county government listings, or do a web search for "[name of your county] texas" + "agricultural extension agent", and you should come up with a name.

• Kev-in-Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone! What a great group of people!

• Kev-in-Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I spot treated today with Tractor Supply's version of 2, 4-D. Only did some, so we'll see about the results.

• hortster
    12 years ago

I've never had to deal with skeleton weed, just have seen it. It may have a "cuticle" or waxy surface that prevents chemicals from entering and affecting it. I'll be watching to see the results of 2,4 D. Was it a "3-way" that you used? Keep us up.
    hortster

• Kev-in-Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is what I'm trying first.. http://www.tractorsupply.com/weed-killers/groundwork-reg-concentrate-lawn-weed-killer-1-qt--4221187

It has a little under 8% (2,4-D) but said you could spray it on Bermuda grass.

The store clerk brought me another.... 46% (2,4-D) WOW!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/weed-killers/gordon-s-reg-amine-400-weed-killer-1-gal--4201014

but its directions said it could SEVERELY damage Bermuda... so that probably won't due since these weeds seem to intertwine themselves into the Bermuda strands pretty good.

• Kev-in-Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BTW, neither person at Texas A&M or Texas Tech replied to me. Ugh.

On a more interesting note, I have one of the weed specimens sealed in a ZipLoc bag in my office. It's been three weeks and the dang thing is STILL green! It's leaves are black and wilted, but it's stems are still green! There is no way it's alive unless it's surviving on it's own sugar reserves? Still waiting for a change in the yard. They LOOK like they might be dying, but how am I to tell if the BAGGED version is still green? Hmm......

• Kev-in-Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Weeds have definitely taken a turn (towards death). They are all brown and brittle. I'm hoping it's the spray and not the drought conditions here in TX.

Neighbor has offered to let me use his 30gal sprayer with MSMA and 2,4-D... that should whipe them out.