Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grendelsdad

morning glory -- mulch sufficient?

grendelsdad
14 years ago

I have morning glory just starting to peek through some soil I just laid down around a new swing set in our yard. Will a few inches of mulch on top of the soil be sufficient to smother them and keep them at bay? Or will I need to put some landscaping cloth or something else down under the mulch? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

If what you have is true Morning Glory and not its more invasive cousin Field Bindweed, "Convolvulus arvensis" tht mulch material will smother it. Morning Glory is just a wimpier plant then the Bindweed.

• grendelsdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pretty sure it's morning glory but in case it turns out to be Convolvulus arvensis, what should I do?

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

If it is Bindweed, "Convolvulus arvensis", you will need to dig the roots out. I have heard from many people that have spent a lot of money on chemicals to eradicate this adn then they found that digging the roots out was the only, sure, solution.

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

If it is bindweed, no. If it is morning glory with the big white flowers, no. I've tried many different types and depths of mulch and find the roots just run to the edge and sprout up from there. If the mulch is organic, the top growth finds its way to the surface. If you pull the roots, you will see that they go on forever - each little bit left over resprouts. I have used cardboard layers with a foot of bark mulch - no luck. Am still searching for a way to stop the spread. It is on a relentless march through my woodland, across my veggie beds, and on its way to the ornamental garden above.

• Beeone
    13 years ago

Chop it out as soon as it appears and don't worry about the roots. It will take a year or so to get rid of it, but if you never let it develop leaves to build food reserves, the roots will eventually starve and die--for the field bindweed version of morning glory anyway. I wouldn't let garden morning glory on the place because of its nasty cousin, but it should be much easier to kill. Putting a dark landscaping fabric over it and mulching wouldn't hurt to keep it from getting sunlight if you don't want to chop, just watch the edges and make sure there are no holes it can get through.

If the vines have gotten a few inches long, draping them through a saucer of undiluted glyphosate (Round-Up) and leaving them in it for a couple days will kill the vines and a chunk of root.

• justinryan215
    13 years ago

I, unfortunately, recieved this nasty bindweed along with a few plants from my mom's garden. I have been battling it for about three years now. This year, I have taken General Sherman's march to the sea approach in my fight. This spring I took out all the plants that were left in my garden added some manure and fresh topsoil, then a layer of landscape fabric and then a thick layer of mulch. I havebeen adding flowers and plants as I have found them at good prices, and killing the weed as it pops up.
    My method is as such...I cut the top two thirds of the growth and, wearing rubber gloves, hold the cut end of the plant still attached, and gently spray round up onto the leaves and the cut end. It seems to be working so far!

Also, the other day, I was addingsome celosia to my garden and I found a two to three foot long bindweed vine under the paper, it appears that it was searching for a way out, but, since it couldnt get any sun, itwas pure white...

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

Cut: "I found a two to three foot long bindweed vine under the paper, it appears that it was searching for a way out, but, since it couldnt get any sun, itwas pure white..."

Give it time; it will find a way out from under the mulch. The roots can be many feet long. One of the problems is that you can be cutting the top growth on your property while next door the plant is happily growing, and setting seed. It is an evil weed.