Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prolific weed in shrub beds

Posted by bigcapper Virginia (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 21:54

My garden has been full of this weed (pictured) this year. Can anyone tell me what it is and how to prevent it from coming back in the future?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prolific weed in shrub beds

That might, possibly, be Virginia Creeper, a plant that is widely spread by birds eating the seeds and then dropping them all over the place. Because of that pulling is the single best means of control. Herbicides might work on growing plants but do not prevent germination of seeds in the furture.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Virginia Creeper

o

I don't think it's Virginia Creeper, unless the juvenile form is utterly different than the adult. However, it doesn't really matter what it is - just start pulling it up before it sets seed. If it's hard to pull up, use your pitchfork to loosen the roots.

There is really no way to prevent weeds from showing up, as long as there are birds flying overhead and pooping as they fly. All we can do is pull up the weeds and mulch if possible.

Good luck with weeding; believe me, we all share your pain; for me, it's onion grass and pokeweed.

o

No, it definitely isn't Virginia Creeper. The Name That Plant Forum can probably id it for you. As lisanti07028 says, get pulling before it seeds.

o

it is called Mulberry weed and I have been fighting it for the past year. I pull them up every time I see one but the only thing it does is give me satisfaction... it really doesn't control them very well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mulberry Weed: Identification and Control

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here