Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soitgoes_gw

Mugwort?? Help!!

soitgoes
16 years ago

Anyone know how to get rid of mugwort? If possible, I think it's worse than the Japanese Knotweed problem we have.

My husband and I have a new construction house, and the mugwort is everywhere. In the lawn, on our hill. We are keeping it to a dull roar in areas where we are planting perennials by papering and mulching around them, and where we planted trees and shrubs we dug up a big enough area of soil and got out most of the roots, so it's not too bad. But it seems impossible to erradicate it from lawn areas. It laughs at broadleaf weedkillers and of course pulling it up hardly makes a difference because of the rhizomes. We have heavy clay soil, so of course it just breaks off right below ground. Our new lawn is thin in spots, but it even comes up in areas where the grass is thick.

Will repeated mowings eventually subdue it? It's a nightmare. I don't know if it was here already and took off when the ground was disturbed, or if it came in with a truckload of soil, but it's a horrible weed. The only upside is it's great for erosion control with all those rhizomes.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County