Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

id different weeds please

v1rt
14 years ago

Hi. I renovated my lawn from scratch. There are different weeds that have germinated. I would like to know what they are. Can someone please id them all?

{{gwi:1352630}}

I don't think this is burdock.

{{gwi:1352631}}

{{gwi:1352632}}

I think this weed and the weed on the last pic below are the same. However, the topmost right corner weed I think is a Purslane.

{{gwi:1352633}}

{{gwi:1352634}}

Comments (6)

• Beeone
    14 years ago

First is prickly lettuce. Second is velvet leaf. Third is common mallow. Fourth and Fifth are a spurge, looks like spotted spurge although I can't see the red spots on the leaves.

All will be controlled by a broadleaf herbicide, although mowing will also control the prickly lettuce, velvet leaf, and to a lesser degree, mallow.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First is not prickly lettuce because the weed I posted last week was identified as prickly lettuce. The first picture above has softter leaves than prickly lettuce.

Here is the picture I posted last week that was identified at prickly lettuce.

{{gwi:1352635}}

{{gwi:1352636}}

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it! :)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also, which selective herbicide would you recommend for controling spurge?

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

The prickly lettuce pictures you posted first are after they send up their bloom shoots. Like many things some plants show variations during different stage of life. Also plants do show variations between members.

All of the above are true but I belive that your new picture is of garden leaf lettuce before it too sends up a seed stalk.

• Beeone
    14 years ago

Anything with 2,4-D or Dicamba will take out the spurge. There are others commonly on the market, also, but I can't remember their names. Essentially anything labeled for broadleaf weeds (includes kochia, lambsquarters, redroot pigweed) in lawns will do the trick. For brand names, weed and feed will contain what you need, and I think Weed-B-Gone will also. Just make sure that whatever you use is labeled for use on lawns so you don't hurt the grass, and don't let it get on anything else such as trees, bushes, or flowers. The spurge is growing because your grass is still pretty thin. As it thickens, it will crowd out the spurge, which is an annual.

That first picture really does look like wild lettuce/prickly lettuce. It is a bit different than your earlier pictures--the leaves don't exhibit the thorniness on the leaf margins, and the vein pattern in the leaves looks a little different. If it isn't prickly lettuce, it is a close relative and can be expected to behave about the same and can be controlled the same way. I think there are different strains that will be found in the same area. The only other weed I'm familiar with that it could be is annual sowthistle. They look very similar when young, but they behave about the same otherwise and as long as you keep them mowed to prevent seed production, they'll disappear in a few years.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awesome folks! Thank you so much for helping me. :D

I'll check more weeds in my lawn. :)