Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ID of Weed whose Flower looks like Ear of Corn

Posted by suel41452 z6b-7aVA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 11, 06 at 10:05

My husband loves this weed. It grows very tall and its flower is very large, yellow, and resembles an ear of corn. Sometimes the flower heads look like a saguaro (sp?)cactus from a distance. Anyone know what this is?? Thanx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ID of Weed whose Flower looks like Ear of Corn

Sounds a bit like common mullein, Verbascum thapsus.

o

Bingo! Saw a photo online - that's exactly it! Thank you so much for the info - I would never have found it on my own.
Now if I can just get my husband to stop planting it in our yard. He transplanted 2 of them from pastureland behind our house.
I have been busy this past year planting flowering cherries, japanese maples, hosta, butterfly bushes, peonies, azaleas, daylilies, daffodils, asters, mums, canna, nandina, iris to have a lovely yard and he plants this weed? ARRGH. Guess I'll have to learn to love it!!

o

Once you see the butterflys and small birds it attracts you will want more. I tried for years to transplant them. I even went to one of my favorite nurseries for starts but no luck until last year when one finally took. Just be aware that they bloom on second year plants. I have found two seedlings and am hopeing for more. There is a very small wren that loves to eat the flowers and later the seeds that I have not found in any book. It appears no more than two-three inches long from head to tail. With that cocky tail it is so cute as it goes up and down the stem chasing off the nuthatch.

o

Well, glad to hear someone else loves them! But I have to confess it will have to be an acquired taste for me. I'll try to think of it as an exotic sunflower!!! But since my husband never takes care of any of his plants, I doubt I'll see it next spring.

o

Mullien is a great plant for birds. ONce you get it established, it doesn't need much care. Its a perfect plant for your hubby to grow. And I would bet that you will see it next year. (I know that isn't what you wanted to hear though - sorry for the bad news.)

o

Be aware that it is listed as a noxious weed in Colorado and South Dakota. I have to admit, I have never understood the attraction that some people have for this plant. I yank it out wherever I find it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here