Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandakb_gw

Weed ID - kind of like chickweed or purple dead nettle, but not

AmandaKB
9 years ago

I was reseeding areas of my fescue lawn this fall (in NC). I hit the worst areas with a roundup type weed killer in August, and beginning of September, this weed started popping up. I went ahead and seeded, because I didn't think id have time to weed kill again and seed.

The fescue is coming in well, but some areas are still dominated by this weed. The fescue seems to be coming in underneath it, but I don't know what I could do to get rid of the weed without damaging the 3 week old new grass.

What is it, and what can you suggest to get rid of it at this point?

Comments (6)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I'd say it was a Veronica chamaedrys, Germander Speedwell. Just pull now before it flowers. They have quite an extensive root system compared with the size of the top growth so I put one hand flat over the earth with the stems poking up between my fingers and pull with the other hand in order to keep from pulling up a chunk of soil.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Maybe "Veronica chamaedrys" although that is a spring or early summer grower. Henbit, "Lamium amplexicaule", aka dead or bee nettle, which will germinate and grow in September. Henbit is a winter annual and doing something now to remove it most likely will do more harm to the incoming grass then just leaving it alone. Whatever it is pulling it up will disturb those new grass roots and cause the grass to die.

• AmandaKB
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My research on Veronica chamaedrys suggests the best thing I could do now would be a good raking and clearing up the debris. I'm thinking one of those flexible metal rakes rather than the heavy ones. Would that disturb the new grass?

I think the weed is too lime green and shiny to be henbit, but I could be wrong.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

We don't know where AmandaKB lives but in my climate Veronica chamaedrys grows all year round and even flowers in winter in mild periods. Being a weed of bare and disturbed soil the works on the lawn may have promoted a late flush.

I have never sown a lawn nor have I ever raked Veronica so I can't comment on that technique. On my allotment the roots are quite well fixed and a raking with a spring tine rake would not shift it.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

I believe that Amanda's (in NC) means she is in North Carolina.
    Pulling those plants out of the ground now will upset the newly germinating grass which could result in large bare spots that would require more seed.

This post was edited by kimmsr on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 6:46

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Oops - missed that information. In which case I would think Veronica could grow year round and will not be put off by the winter. It certainly isn't over here. I agree pulling it would disturb the grass but it won't go away unless something is done. It's a creeping mat former so will just keep spreading. A low cut with the mower might help. Obviously, neither you nor I would mention a selective weedkiller.....

Sponsored
DB Landscape Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Beautiful & Functional Landscape Designs in Franklin County