Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it worth keeping this weed?

Posted by chueh 7 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 07 at 14:07

Hi,
I have some of those weeds in my backyard (Please look at the picture below)

The yellow flowers are kind of pretty, and the plant does not crazily spread or get too bushy and overpowering. What kind of weed is this? Is it worth to keep it or weed it? What is your take on it.
Also, what about those in the background, those yellow flower plants(flowers look like astible, kind of fussy). Please look at the similar picture below. Those plants are behind the plant I mentioned in the above paragraph.

What are those? They are a lot in the backyard. I am afraid that all their seeds will be blown into my flower garden closeby, perhaps 7 feet away. Should I weed them or cut the flowers off? There are a lot though. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it worth keeping this weed?

The 'ASTILBE' type weed is commonly known as " golden rod".
you do not want to keep it, as it will spread and become very invasive.
The other weed is of the buttercup family, and will also sprout all over the place. you will need to dig out the roots of these 2 weed types.

Here is a link that might be useful: organic gardening.

o

Thanks, Organicg, but what can I prevent them from coming back? I could not open the link you gave me. Somehow, the link did not have a complete url. What is lacking in my soil??? thanks

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 12, 07 at 23:40

The link didn't work because of a spelling oops.

Try this version
http://organicgardengardening.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: try this version

o

Goldenrods can spread by underground stems, but are not all invasive. Yours may be native. Some are quite attractive. The other plant is in the Aster (aka Sunflower) family. There are lots of yellow-flowered plants in this family, so you will need someone with local expertise to ID it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here