Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which plants should I plant in a weedy area?

Posted by contulmiau Connecticut (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 14:21

Hi guys, I have a couple of areas on my property that I would like to improve by planting pretty plants and flowers. The big problem though is that these areas are full of weeds, including poison ivy, viny weeds, fire bush seeds, the regular kind of weeds, etc. These areas are next to a stone wall, under some trees, which are not very thick, so there is enough sun. The soil is well drained, and very light.

I pulled the above the ground weeds several times, and planted lilly-of-the-valley bulbs in the spring. Nothing came out. The weeds came back.

Another time I pulled the weeds again and planted pachysandra. Some pachysandra settled, some died, but in a month the weeds were up again, and so my pachysandra got lost among them.

I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem, and maybe some tips.

Just pulling the weeds doesn't do it. There is a great underground network of roots, and a lot of fire bush seeds (there used to be a firebush, which I cut down).

Is there any hope? What can I plant there, and how to do it correctly?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which plants should I plant in a weedy area?

What many call "weeds" are really wild flowers and many of these have root systems that can keep growing the plants unless they are eliminated as well as the above ground parts of the plant. That you have tried Lily of the Valley and Pachysandra with little success indicates there may a soil problem that needs to be corrected, so a soil test is in order.
Lily of the Valley will grow in most any soil but they prefer a soil well amended with organic matter that is near neutral, or like most other plants in the 6.2 to 6.8 pH range.
Pachysandra likes the same type of soil but prefers a lower soil pH.
But have a good reliable soil test done to see what you have, because many of what we call "weeds" do prefer a soil that is much leaner and meaner than that which most of the plants we want to grow do.

o
RE: Which plants should I plant in a weedy area?

Haha - I had a similar problem. There is a rich soil area full of recurring vines, tree saplings, and gets littered with hickory nuts in the fall (which inhibits growth of some plants). My solution - I planted tall, woody shrubs and fruit trees. The "weeds" keep the soil rich, while the understory plantings thrive as well.

Some tall ornamental grasses are aggressive as well.

This post was edited by river_city on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 8:34

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here