Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finchelover

wild carrot help

finchelover
13 years ago

I did some good mulching-- I thought but I went out this morning and I am seeing lots of wild carrot appearing thru the mulch. Is there anything I can do. We already had 2 light Frost so that won't help. I spent alot of money on mulch aready. I had also put down paper and cardboard.

Comments (3)

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

"Wild Carrot" usually refers to Queen Annes Lace a biennual that usually grows in poor soil. I've not ever seen it grow in my mulched beds, even after collecting seed and scattering it. Most often, especially in well mulched beds, I have found that mechanical removal is the simplest and most effective means of control of unwanted plant growth.

• debndulcy
    13 years ago

I'm in suburbs of Philadelphia, PA - and been fighting major infestations of "wild carrot" for at least 5 years, in both cultivated and non- (ie, 'poor soil') garden areas. It seems to spread from wilder open areas where it's rampant to all nearby homeowner gardens/spaces.

I did a lot of research after the limited success I had trying RoundUp (as if I were trying to kill any other weed; it was supposed to be effective according to the label then), and quickly found I had to plan carefully for its life cycle and kill/get rid of as much as I could before it got near to seeding. It took abut three seasons to get rid of larger patches totally, using RoundUp, as quickly (according to season) and consistently as possible. Given the on-going growth in open areas nearby, it still appears on/off in previously controlled areas.

As regards mulch, I didn't use it or other means. I've been trying to increase areas covered with ground cover and hope it helps more permanently, though it does seem to just find another new home!

Best of luck to you! Great that you continue to try to tend to/control whatever area you can. I got to hate it when people said they loved the flower... as I don't believe it's a true Queen Anne's Lace.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

Wild carrot, "Daucus carota", is variously known as "Birds Nest", "Bees Nest", as well as the more proper Queen Annes Lace. It is a Biennual, meaning that it will germinate from seed one year and get established (probably without shouwing to much growth) and the second year will grow up and flower and produce the flat seed head that the "Umbelliferae" (Carrots, Parsley, Dill, Fennel, Coriander) are noted for.
    One could use the very powerful "weed" killers such as the glyphosates and also do great harm to the environment. In my experience mowing does a very good job of controlling this plant in grasses and hand pulling works very well in cultivated planting beds so there is no need to poison you environment.