Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed ID request

Posted by bigric 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 16:12

I've been pulling clusters of these out of my back yard for a few months now, and they're starting to appear near the fence in my front yard. Their root looks carrot-like and is relatively easy to pull without breaking.

Can anybody identify them, and is there a pre- or post-emergent that I can use, or should I continue to pull them out?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed ID request

Not sure what it is, but if it doesn't grow back after you pull it, that's not really even a weed. Just an wayward plant that you removed. Easy peasy!

o

Thanks. They drop a lot of seeds and their colonies spread rapidly. Produces white flowers. They're generally surrounded by spurge.

o

Surprised nobody has come along with a name yet...

Doesn't look like a creeper, so if you keep pulling these up as the available seeds sprout, before the plants make more seeds, eventually there will be no more seeds TO sprout besides whatever new gifts the birds or wind bring to your yard.

If you're pressed for time, just mowing them until you have time to pull will help keep it from being able to put more seeds out. If they're annuals, this may be all the control you need.

o

I have a nasty weed growing up in my yard occasionally can anyone ID it please!!!! It is horrible looking and my dog doesn't even like it

o

Hi Christina. Welcome to Gardenweb.

Looks like a fungus, probably smells horrible. It will go away in a day or two.

Feel free to start a new discussion for a new question next time.

o

It's not a creeper. I've been mowing whatever I haven't yet pulled, but that just encourages it to spread out. Thanks for all the help; I was hoping to get a name so that I see if there was an herbicide for it.

Christina, we had those too last year. They look like baby carrots.

o

I was hoping you'd get a name too. Have you seen any flowers? That plant looks familiar...

o

I'll try a long shot - maybe one of the dogbanes (Apocynum spp.)?
hortster

o
Wild Edible? (Leaves.)

I am not quite sure what this is. I am really into wild edibles, but I am still learning. I was thinking this could be some kind of Redroot/Pigweed. Anyone want to identify or elaborate? (Poor picture quality.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here