Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardendummie

Drowning in Weeds!

Gardendummie
12 years ago

I am new to the forum. I really need help. I am really frustrated.

Here is the situation. I live in East Texas. We have not had much rain at all! We have been in a burn ban for months. I am watering the yard every other morning at 5:00 a.m. I have Saint Augustine grass. No shade. I have used Scott's fertilizer. I have done everything the bag has said.

Two issues: My grass is not growing/spreading and the weeds are horrendous! Here are some of the weeds I am able to identify. Virginia buttonweed, Dallis grass, bahiagrass and some kind of a thorny weed.

I think I know where the problem started. My neighbors yard and I fertilized too early in the year. Therefore, feeding the weeds.

What do I do?!?!?! Please help. I fertilized the yard three weeks ago with a weed and feed. I have the normal Scott's fertilizer. Is it too early to put that on the yard.

Thanks for your help. I am really upset about this.

Joey

Comments (7)

• Gardendummie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is Joey.

I forgot to say that I am pulling a lot of the weeds up by hand. So many that my fingers have blisters!

Thanks, again.

• hortster
    12 years ago

Fertilizer added in dry years can stress turf if not irrigated and therefore aids the weeds, at least those that grow in the heat and drought, especially with extra nitrogen. How about some pix of the thorny weed?
    Here's how to post a good picture: First, open a free account at Photobucket.com. Upload your pictures there. Click on the HTML line (third line beneath your picture in Photobucket when you hold the cursor over your picture) and it should say "copied", then paste here [this gardenweb forum] in the message area - not in a link [You can paste multiple pictures regardless of size and you won't see the picture, but only computer lingo until you click on "Preview Message" below]. You will be able to post pictures on any other forum, too. After pasting your photos here [this gardenweb forum], you should see them when you hit "Preview Message" before you actually post the message.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

How much water are you delivering? If you are watering every day and the grass is not growing then it is not enough, your grass needs more water. Fertilizing grass that is in stress is never a good idea since that will only increase that stress and make conditions worse, especially if synthetic fertilizers are used.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Hi Gardendummie. Welcome to gardenweb. I know nothing about growing grass in TX, but wanted to say hi and suggest you might want to visit the lawn maintenance forum and/or TX forums.

• Gardendummie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am watering every other day for 20 minutes in each station.

Can I fertilize again? I fertilized 3 weeks ago with a week and feed..

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

How much water is delivered in that 20 minutes? It is not the time that matters but the amount of water delivered. According to the, now retired, Director of Public Works here water pressure around 5:00 am is the lowest of the day because of the amount used as people are getting up and getting ready for the day so they system does not deliver the amount of water that would be delivered at 8:00 am.
    When temperatures are consistently on the 80's and 90's your lawn may well need twice as much water as it would when the temperatures are in the 70's.
    Is your water system delivering at least an inch of water per week? Is that inch per week really enough?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Does your St. Augustine go dormant in the winter where you live? If so, you probably shouldn't fertilize after Aug./September (depending on your growing season). Warm season grasses need to be allowed to STORE energy in the fall, not use it.