Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of weed is this? It's ALL over my lawn!

Posted by designcharm Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 16:48

There are hundreds of thousands of these sprouting up all over my lawn. Anywhere there is a bare spot (which there is a lot of as we just bought this house and the lawn was terribly neglected), these weeds are filling it in!

Should I let it go? Or be trying to remedy the situation?

I clearly cannot pick them all, any other suggestions?

I just added lime to my whole lawn to neutralize the acidic soil from our massive pine trees.

Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of weed is this? It's ALL over my lawn!

Looks like chickweed.
hortster

o

I'd not suspect chickweed. In that area, looks like a mulched bed, a garden rake shuffled over the mulch will disrupt those plants roots enough to cause them to die.

Here is a link that might be useful: chickweed images

o

I see some violets, but the primary plants may be Impatiens pallida, jewelweed.

Did a soil test indicate there was a problem with the PH of your soil?

o

I see a chickweed (Stellaria sp.) and another seedling. Possibly Hairy Bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta)

o

I thought jewelweed, as well.

o

Just an FYI -- the pine needles/pine trees cause acid soil is just a myth. Pine trees tend to prefer slightly acidic soil, but there is no cause and effect. Always better to test your soil pH before adding lime -- not saying you didn't -- but throwing down lime without doing so can do more harm than good.

o
As for your question...

There isn't much you can do about the weeds now except preventing them from setting seed -- so I would keep them mowed low as soon as they start their flowering/seed production in late winter/early Spring (this is as soon as we break from the winter pattern and things warm just a little bit -- as early as late February depending on where you are, elevation, etc.).

I would wait until late summer/early fall to try to build the lawn (aside from a pre-emergent for summer annual weeds in Spring). The folks over on the lawn forum know a tremendous amount about how to establish a lawn that will choke out weeds. But, I will say that condition number one is you can't grow dense cool-season turfgrass without at least 5-8 hours of sun per day (and the 5 is pushing it).

Good luck!

o

Probably the main reason you have a patchy lawn is because of the massive pine tree
casting dense shade
limiting the amount of rain that reaches the ground
having a strong network of surface roots
distributing an annual load of cast needles, male cones, needle sheaths

If you haven't found the seed source for the flush of annuals (or young perennials) you are seeing in your yard then you will probably see more of them in spring. Particularly if you have wet spring weather in your area.

You may have to reconsider having a traditional lawn in your yard.

One thing you could do is to topdress the bare patches with some good weed-free compost for over the winter - just to get the soil life working again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here