Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Does anyone know what this vine weed is..? Pics

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

Please help me....This weed is taking over my neighbors yard and now coming over to mine. He wants me to kill them and I don't want them either.

When I try to pull them out, the root breaks off in the soil, therfore the only thing that I can kill is the leaves themselves..They come back, spreading via root system in the ground..Help..Please!!!

They are creeping into my yard and growing into all my plants..

Thankyou

Comments (11)

• tyrlych
    14 years ago

Compare with Vincetoxicum/Cynanchum.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Looks to me like the nightshade, a member of the Solanan family, that grows wild all around here. It can be difficult to eradicate since the roots will break off easily, and then grow new plants, and birds eat the seed produced and drop them every where.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nightsahde

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great..Now that we know what they are, how do you rid of these horrible things..I saw this problem comming when my neighbors decided to let their yard be over run..

They gave up and let them win, until I stepped up to the plate to keep their yard up, and these things keep coming back....

They inched closer and closer to my manicured flower beds, and now I have them..

What works so I can get a head start next year? How do you kill weeds that have root feeders? Maybe Roundup? I hate chemicals..But if this the only way, I will use the stuff, even if it shortens my life..Arg

Thanks so much...

• tyrlych
    14 years ago

This can not be nightshade -- see the hanging fruits on the first photo.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree....Every picture I looked at in Google said it was the name you gave me...Thanks alot tylych..:-)
    You hit it right on the nose...

Thanks kimmsr for trying to identify..:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

By the way tylych, you did benefit me in a HUGE way with this info..I was reading that these vines are very bad news all over the states in our region spread by roots and PODS!!
    They open after riping and send seed that fly like dandylions, that spread ALL OVER the place..When I looked at the ones bordering my yard, they were all ready to pop, while a couple had..

If hadn't ripped those things off the fence, they would of been all over my yard!!! Thanks a miilion for this timely help!

• tyrlych
    14 years ago

Glad I could help, Mike

• Ann
    14 years ago

Mike, I try very hard to be organic, but when it comes to invasive weeds, I grab the Roundup. I don't know how that'll go over on this forum, but to me it's a question of balancing the stress and added work of "losing" your beloved gardens to a weed versus spraying some weed-killer. I'd put on gloves, rubber boots, maybe even a mask, and attack both gardens!

But that's me....

Ann

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I have the same weed in my garden, showed up a couple of years ago and I figured the birds brought it in. When I googled the above it shows white flowers, and the one in my yard has blue, as I think the one in your pictures does as well. And yes it is spreading.

• zorba_the_greek
    14 years ago

cynanchum laeve

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Have you tried vinegar? Put solution in a spray bottle and have fun!