Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed/Vine ID please! Vine with set of 5 serrated leaves

Posted by srigov DFW Zone:7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 21, 08 at 19:47

Hi All
I have a vine that is in my plant bed. I have posted pics to help id. I think its bindweed but the pictures do not match. The vine puts out several shoots and grows from a tuber/rhizome. I have dug down and removed fairly big chunks of the root but it seems to grow back again. For now, I'm cutting out the vine as close to the ground as possible. The worst thing is that its growing within my dwarf holly and I cannot dig it out without digging out the holly as well. The thorns are painful if you accidentally brush against it.

Any ideas on what this is and how to get rid of it?

Image link: Weed/Vine ID please! Vine with set of 5 serrated leaves (41 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed/Vine ID please! Vine with set of 5 serrated leaves

Looks a lot like a vine called Virginia Creeper, used in landscapes. Makes a very nice vine on walls or trellises. The leaves turn a beautiful red in the fall, then goes dormant for the winter. It grows an extensive root system and is very difficult to get rid of once well established. However, if you use some full strength glyphosate, not the ready-to-use mix but the stuff that is 40% or more active ingredient, you can use a cotton glove or paintbrush or sponge and coat new sprouts when they come out of the ground. This allows you to miss getting your holly by accident, and it will take the vine out but may need a couple applications as regrowth appears. The Roundup won't hurt the holly as long as you don't get any on the holly leaves even though their roots are close together.

Your other alternative is to continue doing what you are doing now--keep cutting it off everytime some growth appears out of the ground to prevent any photosynthesis and gradually starve the roots out.

o

It's not Virginia Creeper, which does not have those nasty thorns. Looks like a bramble, to me.

o

I am trying to ID a vine that looks just like the leaves shown here, but my vine has no thorns. grows over fences, along the ground, up trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here