Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chamber Bitter; Gripe Weed - Phyllanthus Urinaria

Posted by spoonbill (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 22:08

My property is infested with this weed, brought in, alas, with various natives I planted throughout 21 acres. This year I decided to get rid of it, and it has been the battle of my life. I spray it with glyphosate and hand pull some of it, which is back-breaking. My question is in two parts: at what point are the prolific seeds mature? It is much easier to spray it, but I'm hand-pulling it if the seeds look mature, for fear they'll sprout even where the sprayed plant dies. The second related question is: if the seeds are immature, or mature for that matter, does spraying glyphosate interfere with their ability to sprout, such that it would be OK to spray a plant with even mature seeds and let it just fall where it dies, without fear of the seeds sprouting? Or are the seeds impervious to the hormonal disruption inflicted by spraying?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chamber Bitter; Gripe Weed - Phyllanthus Urinaria

I have no experience with this weed, fortunately by the sound of it.

However, in general, if the seed is still in the milk or early dough stage, glyphosate should pretty well kill the seeds. Once they reach the late dough stage, they are pretty much just drying down and your success will also drop, and when ripe, the glyphosate will have minimal effect at best.

To tell the stage, crush a seed in your fingers (if it is in a small pod, open the pod to get to the seed first), then squeeze it between your fingers. If it crushes to release juice, it is in the milk stage. If it releases something like batter, it is early dough stage. If it is like bread dough or drier, then it is probably too late and picking and destroying is your best option.

You could probably try spreading some Preen next spring in the areas where you had it to try to stop any seeds that did drop. Preen acts to inhibit seed germination and early root growth of annual plants and would not hurt native perennials you had planted. However, if you planted native annuals, it would likely prevent their seeds from growing next year, too.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 24, 09 at 17:39

It was said "However, in general, if the seed is still in the milk or early dough stage, glyphosate should pretty well kill the seeds."

I would be cautious about trusting such action. Roundup is taken up better prior to when seed development begins -- it's usually best just before & during flowering -- so I suspect the seeds could continue to mature.

o

Thanks so much for the input and education about seed stages. Much of my problem has to do with the fact that I'm dealing with a fairly wild and natural 21 acres - which floods a lot, to boot. Flooding, no doubt, has helped distribute the seeds. I made the mistake of allowing the plant to grow for a couple of years, thereby disseminating thousands of seeds all over the place, figuring it was hopeless to try to eradicate it. It is clearly a process that will take several years, at best.......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here