Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disposal of dug nutsedge

Posted by northerngirl_mi Z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 22:38

I have yellow nutsedge scattered here and there in flower beds. (Not a lot...but what a pain in the butt to eliminate)....I dig it out when I get around to it, and try to take generous amount of soil with it so I get some of the nutlets...
I cold compost, so don't want to put in compost pile... How do others dispose of what you dig? That soil gets pretty heavy and bulky to just add to the trash...
Beth z5 MI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disposal of dug nutsedge

Since nutsedge tends to like it moist and sunny, you could exchange the soil from somewhere dry and shady. Maybe the back of the border or under the eaves.

o

I would not compost the "nuts" or any of the green growth that has seeds even in a hot pile, but in Michigan our options are kind of limited since it is illegal to dispose of year waste in a sanitary landfill, where your regular household trash goes. If you have yard waste pick up double wrap them and put them put for that.
Possibly putting them out, double wrapped in clear plastic baggies, in the sun to be solarized might render the stuff ungrowable.

o

Kimpa, nutsedge is MUCH more adaptable than you think.

o

• Posted by kimpa z6b PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 21:51

I have it in the lawn and in the beds but I have never seen it in woods behind my house or in my shady beds adjacent to the woods. I just don't throw away soil. How about putting soil with nutlets somewhere and then covering it with cardboard and mulch. Yeah that's what I would do...Or dig a deep hole half way to China and bury it all. But I just couldn't throw away my soil!

o

I put that kind of unwanted garden waste deep in the woods where it doesn't grow. If it's diseased, it goes in the trash can.

o

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll need to give this some thought...just scared to put this somewhere else in the ground.... Have an area with very poor, dry, but sunny soil... Maybe a deep hole there...
Beth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here