Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
woven polypropylene

Posted by foolishpleasure 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 6:57

I saw on some organic agriculture site mats they sell and they claim to fully control the weed. It is made of Woven Polypropylene. They claim it allows water, fertilizer and air to go through to the soil. Also they claim it keeps the moisture underneath of plants. Its role of action it blocks the lights and the sun from the weed seeds so they don't geminate. They say it is very tough and can last 20 years (I say 3 will be good) It comes in rolls of 3 feet wide and 250 feet long at $100 cost. I can spread between the rows in the plant beds. I have to worry only about the weeds which will grow close to the plants which is minor. Did any body ever heard or used this kind of mats.

I am very sin-cal when it comes to weed mats after I bought some from local store. It was painfully funny the weed grew through the mats and getting red of the mats was a big disappointment task.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: woven polypropylene

If any material is woven loosely enough to allow water, fertilizer, and air through and into the soil it is a loose enough weave to also allow unwanted plant growth through.
The only reason to use a textile "weed block" is if you do not have enough mulch to do the job, although even with that material you would still need to put down a 2 inch thck layer of mulch to keep the sunlight from reaching the soil underneath.
Having used many different types of fabric "weed blocks" I would save muy money and just use enough mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here