Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Does anyone have "The Weed Wrench'?

I've been pondering investing in a Weed Wrench for some time and recently came across an out of town friend who has one, and just loves it. She's not very big, and says that she uses it by herself. She has the medium sized one, but said that she often wished she had the big(gest) one.

Does anyone have one? Love it? What size? Wish you had a different size?

I'm thinking of getting the medium sized one as it would likely handle the majority of things I'm wanting to get rid of and the biggest Weed Wrench would likely be overkill and just too heavy (24 lbs) and cumbersome for me.

My local rental place didn't have one to rent and try before purchasing.

This winter I hope to work on multiflora rose, Autumn Olive, Honeysuckle bushes, and just small trees here and there.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: The Weed Wrench site

Comments (7)

• carol23_gw
    11 years ago

Sue, I read on DG one complaint about the metal bending. I didn't see this elsewhere. Seems there are a few sizes available.

I also found a thread about tools used to remove sapling trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tools on Gardenweb

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link Carol. There sure is a lot of info in that thread. I 'think' I'm still leaning toward the Weed Wrench though because of the friend who liked it so well, and also because I won't be trying to tackle anything all that big, due to being limited by my own strength.

Yes, I read somewhere about the metal bending, but doubt if I could ever get it to bend. Possibly a 'too small' of a tool was being used/abused by a 'Jolly Green Giant' type guy.

Sue

• carol23_gw
    11 years ago

Sue, since I found only one complaint of the metal bending , I'm thinking the same thing. Maybe the guy was prying on a big rock or something. The largest size seems too heavy for most people.
    No point in having a tool that gives you aches and pains.

It must be a decent tool since parks departments are using them.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

That is for the big weed. My problem is the little weed but their population is about 10 millions. I saw on TV a tool with rotating steel blades. It has several blade sizes I think 3 to 6 inches which you run it between plants to kill the weed and also it could be used for preparing small beds. But I forgot the name does any one remember the name.
    Abe

Original Author
    11 years ago

I saw on TV a tool with rotating steel blades. It has several blade sizes I think 3 to 6 inches which you run it between plants to kill the weed and also it could be used for preparing small beds.
    Might you mean the Original Rotating 48-Tine Long-Handle Cultivator? If so, I bought it, used it a couple of times, didn't like it and it's either hanging in the shed or I gave it away.

For those gazillion little weed seedlings that soon emerge in freshly worked soil, I like the Stirrup Hoe. It works well if the soil is still fairly loose, but if the soil is clayish, and gotten hard on top due to rain and then it drying out, it can be quite a chore to break the soil's crust to uproot the little weeds.

Sue

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Sue thank you I think I remember the name of that tool now it is called the Garden weasel. A friend of mine has it and let me use it It is ok to cultivate the rows around the plants but I find it a back breaker. I am 6 feet three inches tall and the hamdel is only 48 inches I have to bend down pending down for several hours is not easy on the back of an old man. I wonder how tall the handel of the stirrup hoe I think 5 feet or taller will be ideal.

Original Author
    11 years ago

You're welcome.

The link below is to a rather (costly) stirrup hoe, but it does have a 56" ash handle. There are lots to be found on line, but they are either shorter, or else don't mention a length at all. I wish these on line store knew how much of 'my' business they lost due to not having good descriptions on their products.

I wonder if you could just get one with a shorter handle and then purchase and replace the handle with a longer one. I bought mine at a big box store and imagine it isn't all that long, but fine for me at 5' 3". If/when I can think of it, I'll measure mine and see if it might accept a replacement handle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stirrup Hoe

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler