Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Borax To Kill Creeping Charlie

Posted by mikepa 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 8:38

I have about an acre of yard and see homemade recipes for borax and water to use in a garden tank sprayer to kill Creeping Charlie. I was hoping to use a similar recipe in an Ortho hose-end sprayer to spray the borax solution in a more efficient way, as it seems like it has killed some of the weed.

I used the garden tank sprayer and it took about two days to apply to my yard. I need to find a more efficient method. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Borax To Kill Creeping Charlie

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 12:01

Extension.umn.edu -

Wrong time of year, and multiple applications aren't recommended.

"Apply borax when creeping charlie is actively growing in the spring, when no rain is expected for 48 hours"

"boron remains immobile in the soil and can accumulate to form a "hot spot" in the lawn. Boron toxicity results in yellow and brown spots around edges of leaves. Stems wilt and eventually the weed dies. Established grass appears to withstand the minute excess of boron needed to kill creeping charlie, though it may show brown discoloration temporarily. If the borax solution is applied in too high a concentration, or repeatedly, it will then be toxic to grass and many other plants.

This treatment can be applied only once each year for two years. If you still have creeping charlie problems, then switch to a standard herbicide"

I see 'recipes' for tank type sprayers only, and hose end sprayers give such little control - I don't think I'd try to adapt the application to hose end.

Dissolve 10 oz. Twenty Mule Team Borax in 4 oz. (½ cup) warm water. Dilute in 2.5 gallons of water to cover 1000 sq feet..

Here is a link that might be useful: Borax for creeping charlie

o
RE: Using Borax To Kill Creeping Charlie

Using Borax to control "Creeping Charlie" has been touted for many years, however, even though Boron is an essential micro nutrient just a bit too much is deadly to plants and spraying Borax can kill off your turf grass as well. Studies have had very inconsistent results, some indicating that "Creeping Charlie" was controlled while others indicated no control. All of the studies I have seen do mention other undesirable plant damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Borax to kill Creeping Charlie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here