Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed Prevention in Dwarf Mondo Grass

Posted by pabloverde Z7 Atanta GA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 07 at 15:43

I planted some dwarf mondo grass that is doing a pretty good job of spreading. Last spring and summer though I got lots of broad leaf and grassy type weeds in it. In the areas that the mondo grass has become very dense its virtually impossible to manually pull them out.

Does anybody know of a way to kill this stuff without killing the mondo grass? I'm thinking of using a pre-emergent, but I don't want to do anything that will keep the mondo from spreading.

Any recommendations or experience greatly appreciated!

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed Prevention in Dwarf Mondo Grass

Anything you put down to kill those "weeds" will also kill off your Dwarf Mondo Grass. The only way to control them is mechanical removal of the "weeds" which can mean digging up some clumps of the Mondo grass and snaking out the roots of the "weeds".

o

Be advised that over time even mondo grass will become invasive with roots which grow and spread 18 inches deep beneath the soil.

Only root barriers that are wider than 18 inches wide on the ground surface and/or 18 inches deep will prevent the mondo grass from, over time, also becoming an invasive problem.

o

Thanks for the info.

"Mechanical" means works fine on the areas where the mondo grass is spreading, but it really doesn't work on the areas that are firmly entrenched. Its growing very tightly between large stone pavers. In theory healthy tight knit mondo grass should preclude weeds, right? I wish.

Katrina: I've never known the dwarf variety to be very aggressive. Maybe somewhere else, but not here in the south.

o

Since I have seen quack grass and Johnston grass roots growing through some very dense root systems of many plants a dense root system is not a protection against any invasive plant species. Someone gave daughter a clump of Daylilies once and the following year there was quack grass growing in the planting bed I had cleaned if all out of they year before. I found, upon digging up that clump of the Daylilies quack grass roots weaving all through the plants roots and only after much rinsing of clay off was I able to clear that root ball of all the invasive roots. I have had the same thing, often enough, that I always make sure any plants I give to others are free of any invasive roots.

o

You can mix 1oz. Of Roundup with 1 gallon of water in a sprayer. It will kill the weeds and NOT the mondo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here