Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this weed

Posted by aufin (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 16:46

Seems to be a cool weather weed. Has small hitchhikers that my dogs are constantly bringing into the house. Anybody know how to get rid of it - for good?

Image link: What is this weed (54 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this weed

It looks like miner's lettuce, one of the claytonias. If I'm correct, you can get rid of it by eating it. It's a lettuce substitute and is considered a delicacy.

It self-sows pretty happily, so don't let it go to seed, or try to smother it somehow. Maureen

o

Nope, not miner's lettuce. Googled it. Looks similar, but plant I have grows much different. More viney with double leaves at junctions. Plus miner's lettuce is in cool areas of the west. I'm in central Fla.

o

I have my doubts if this is what your dogs are bringing in. It lacks the fuzz on the stems to tangle in coat nor are the seeds large enough to attach to coat.

It is a weed but a very pretty weed. Has bright blue flowers in early spring. From a distance looks like someone has wiped their brush on the ground.

o

I am also in central Florida and I'm pretty sure that this is Heartleaf Drymary also known as West Indian Chickweed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here