Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Sahara herbicide/sterilant

runswithscissors
10 years ago

Hi folks,

Has anyone ever used this product? I did last year, and really liked the results, but I don't want to get too crazy.

My target is using it with a back-pack sprayer down fence-lines, and around the perimeters of my flowerbeds. I only experimented with it down one fence-line that didn't have anything desirable growing and found that it worked well, and nothing grew in the strip the rest of the season. But should I chance it near plants, shrubs, lawn areas, ect. that I care very much for? How close is too close, I guess, is what I'm asking? Also, since it's a pre or post emergent, can I spray it now on frozen ground? Alot of the weeds and grass I see is still green, even tho the soil is frozen solid.

Last question - an opinion one. My neighbor does not mind weeds; in fact she must really love them because she has more weeds than anything and she allows them to all go to seed. They come right up to the fence and right on to my side. I spend my whole summer weeding out the weeds from her side because she doesn't even weed-eat them down. Would it be ethical for me to spray a foot wide strip on her side of the fence to keep the encroachment to a more manageable level? What would you say if a neighbor did that to your side of the fence? Naturally, I would not spray anything that would be considered a flower or a desirable plant...just the cheat grass and purslane and the like.

Comments (5)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Read, and follow, the label:
    http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld545000.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: the label

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Spraying your neighbors property without permission is illegal and could result in you paying very large dollars out as fines. It is not a good idea.
    This product contains two of the most potent plant killers around and you should be wearing a very expensive respiratory protection mask as well as full protective clothing. This product is not an environmentally friendly material.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

"Would it be ethical for me to spray a foot wide strip on her side of the fence to keep the encroachment to a more manageable level?" Unethical and illegal.

"What would you say if a neighbor did that to your side of the fence?" I've lived next to a 'whatever' property/shared fence for years. Mow/weedwack your side and move on.

"Naturally, I would not spray anything that would be considered a flower or a desirable plant...just the cheat grass and purslane and the like." Your definition of a desirable plant may or may not match your neighbors'. Some people have better things to do than manicure a fence constantly, or attempt to foster a monoculture of grass in a mowed area. A few cuts per year should keep woody entities from taking hold.

Have you talked to your neighbor about this? If tidiness is out of reach along that stretch, how about just going with it, put some wild (non woody) vines on the fence and just enjoy the show.

Bare earth erodes. Mulch may be more useful than so much spraying.

A pic might help you find an idea/solution you like if you don't like my live'n'let live suggestions.

• Beeone
    10 years ago

Don't spray it on frozen ground--you are likely to have it "travel" when any rain or snow melts and moves it elsewhere. You may need to experiment/gain experience to see how close you can get to things you want, but if their roots go through a treated area, they may still suffer ill effects--and you won't know how close is too close until you damage something you want.

• runswithscissors
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for your suggestions. I already knew what you would say about spraying my neighbors side of the fence...but was hoping that some of you might have a thought like mine....drop a swimming pool of weedkiller on her side of the fence. (Just kidding) Yes, you guys are right. It wouldn't be very nice of me and she is definitely the type of neighbor who would press charges against me if she knew I sprayed her side with "GOD AWFUL DEMON CHEMICALS!" I'm trying a different approach. I scattered some wild-flower seeds on her side, in and among the grassy weeds. That way, her weeds won't bother me as much, and she will think her "let-nature-reign" approach is working, as evidenced by all the pretty flowers that just mysteriously popped up on their own.

Side note: I told her one day that I was planning on putting in a bee-hive and she went ballistic. "I hate bee's!" she said, even tho she's a self professed nature-person. Judging by her reaction I decided that maybe a bee-hive would cause problems so didn't put one in. Wouldn't you know, later in the summer she rang my door bell to announce that one of "my" bees stung her. Good gravy, now I knew I was in trouble! From this day forward, every wild bee in a 10 mile perimeter would hence forth be my responsibility when on her side of the fence! Secretly I hoped she was allergic...but no such luck. (incidentally, the bee she was stung by, according to her description was a wasp, not a honey-bee...proving even further that it couldn't possibly have been one of "my" bees.)

Thanks beeone, I will wait until spring to spray my areas.