Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jedijfo1

Very hardy weed

jedijfo1
16 years ago

Can anyone tell me what this weed is? I first thought it was clover from a distance, but the leaf is different. It has survived 25 degree weather here in MA, with no apparent effect. It is not growing right now, but is is not dying either.

Image link:

Comments (6)

• Beeone
    16 years ago

Sure looks like chickweed to me. However, in my area it seems to be fairly frost sensitive--don't think it would survive 25 degrees, probably not survive less than 30, though I've never paid that much attention to it--but it is one of the first weeds to disappear when the frosts start in the fall.

• Beeone
    16 years ago

Sure looks like chickweed to me. However, in my area it seems to be fairly frost sensitive--don't think it would survive 25 degrees, probably not survive less than 30, though I've never paid that much attention to it--but it is one of the first weeds to disappear when the frosts start in the fall.

• MacDaddy
    16 years ago

Does it have explosive seed pods? Might be hairy bittercress. Once it goes to seed it will be everywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hairy Bittercress

• mcmann
    16 years ago

macdaddy is right. I'm near Philadelphia (z6b) and I have it too.

In my area it's an alpine weed and just loves it when we have a mild winter. Luckily it's easy to pull when it's young, but it spreads rapidly. It doesn't seem to do well in the hot summer days but comes back quickly in late fall. If you can remove it while it's still in the rosette stage you'll eliminate a lot of heartache later - get it before it flowers.

• pinkspoonbill
    16 years ago

I have a weed that looks very much, if not identical to, all the pictures of the hairy bittercress. After reading that it was edible, and even put into salads, I tasted mine. My weed is not at all bitter. In fact, it has very little taste at all. It is not something I'd think to put into a salad, nor is it in the least bitter. Could I have something else besides hairy bittercress, but looks just like it? Is hairy bittercress bitter at all? Has anyone else tasted this weed and could tell me if it is bitter, tasty or salad material. I am just wondering if I do have hairy bittercress, or if I have something else very similar to it. Thanks.

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

Like many other potential salad materials the flavor of it will depend on where it grows. Most of these will not develop the proper flavors unless they are growing in leaner, meaner soils and if growing in a fairly well maintained lawn they will have no flavor, too much Nitrogen.
    As a general rule of thumb "hairy bittercress" prefers a fairly wet soil.