Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommy23_gw

poison Ivory transplanting

tommy23
17 years ago

I want to transplant poison ivory from one area to another to enhance security, I am not allowed to put up fences and this is the only way to block off my neighborhood shortcut through my property......If you can tell me how to do it I will do it carfully , do I need the main root????

Comments (11)

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

Poison Ivy won't prevent anyone from taking a short cut. The effects come later. Most people do not even know what poison ivy looks like. Better to use shrub roses or some other prickly plant.

• tommy23
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know this ,the people that have used a neighbors shortcut has poison ivory and they got it and they don't go that way anymore because of it,I heard this with my own ears. as far as the roses and torns , this is a mostly saded area. I really want someone who knows the right way to transplant this because it will work and its cheap my neighbor said he will let me take some

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

There are roses that will grow in shade and have very prickly thorns.

I find dozens of young poisin ivy plants around my yard every summer and I don't even have poison ivy. The birds eat the berries and "plant" them. If you look around areas where it grows you'll find plenty of young seedlings you could dig up with a small shovel. I pull out seedlings with my bare hands all the time and I've never had a problem. I just make sure to wash my hands right away with plain water, no soap.

Just remember, it's easier to plant it than it is to get rid of it.

• ldeardorff50
    17 years ago

you could always plant yucca,it gets big and bushy and has sharp pointy leaves.

• yama
    17 years ago

tommy
    Harvest poisonivy seeds this summer to fall.Once seeds germinated, apply fertilizer to grow fister.
    Once poison ivy get short cutters, They will know poison ivy look like. If you take young stem cutting, they will grow^^. size of pencil or smaller stem roots better.
    good luck.........................yama

• jeannie7
    17 years ago

Aside from whether poison ivy can be transplanted, I have to wonder...IS IT LEGAL to purposely plant a noxious weed.

Not all noxious substances affect the nostrils and cause wheezing....poison ivy is a dangerous plant, can cause much harm to those that would be badly affected by it.

Surely such planting would raise the question whether a person doing it could get sued for causing such harm.

I suggest before you even think to actually do it, to look into other things to prevent people using your property as a short cut.

NOW.....here's an idea.
    Put up a sign......advising people to use caution....
    "poison ivy in this area....cross at your own risk".
    Of course, no poison ivy is actually there....but there is no law against warning people of its existence when you think it could be there.
    As Maifleur says, not many people can actually identify poison ivy and would venture in the same way they used to.

• zorba_the_greek
    17 years ago

Every one will become allergic to poison ivy, exposure and time are the only factors. A quick wash with a naptha based soap in just a few minutes after exposure will usually keep it from activating (the oil can remain virulent for years on clothes.) It is also a systemic allergic reaction. I went for some 40 years with no problem then got a rash of it on the inside of all my major joints. Now I don't rummage without naptha soap nearby...

• davidandkasie
    17 years ago

anyone who is deathly allergic to PI will know what it looks like and avoid it. others will jsut have to find out for themselves!

put on some old clothes, gloves, and a face mask, dig up a couple plants, transplant to where you need them, then throw away or burn the clothes!

• Organic_johnny
    17 years ago

You might try planting raspberries instead... aside from the prickles and yummy fruit, you can also stake them and tie strings across the stakes for them to grow on, which is a fence by any other name, but you can honestly say to the HOA: "it's not a fence, it's staking for my raspberries!" Rubus occidentalis, the black raspberry, is a native species (assuming you're in the US and east of the Rockies) which is perfectly happy in shade, and has very sweet (if somewhat seedy) berries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubus occidentalis

• chazparas
    17 years ago

Consider this, the allergic reaction can be anaphalactic (Sp) and cause the death of an individual with this kind of reaction. As for the suggestion of buring the clothing used when planting it...the oil becomes airborne and can enter your lungs.
    Could you live with knowingly causing the death of another? Why not just plant some poncirus as a hedge? 3-4 inch needles should keep anyone from trying to cross the area, it's a pain to even prune!

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

Try planting either hawthorne, winterberry, catbriar (they REALLY create a thorny barrier) or something. Cat briar is plentiful around here, we also have lots of jerky neighbors who like to bust our fences and come on our property. We keep throwing cat briar seeds onto the property border with them. Luckily they love to grow in deep shade or full sun. I should transplant some this spring...thanks for the reminder! :) Cat briar will grow really dense if you give it awhile, you can also get multiflora rose to grow, it's got beautiful flowers that smell great, but it really takes off FAST. You could also plant both cat briar and the roses, then the cat briar can grow up through it.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living