Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this weed?

Posted by Dino_Rabbit none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 23:15

I am helping my son to do a science fair project and cannot find the type of weed that this is. Thank you for any responses!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this weed?

Any chance of posting an image of just one plant against a plain background?

Also, tell us where you live and where you obtained the weed or seeds.

o

Why would weeds be in rows? Might be some type of Pilea.

o

@jean001a, i'm afraid I cannot get a picture of one plant alone with a plain background. I will try to get one as close as possible. I might post the pic later.

@purpleinopp, they are in rows because they are planted for the science experiment I mentioned earlier.

o

Oh and I forgot, I live in Miami, Florida, USA

o

I don't remember which species of Pilea is artillery fern, but that's what it looks like to me.

o

This is the best picture I can get until I dig it up tomorrow.

o

Are the stems juicy and break easily like an Impatiens? Did you compare it to artillery fern? If you don't think that ID is correct, you may want to ask on name that plant forum, and/or FL forum. Looks like a bulb-type Oxalis in the upper L corner.

o

I did not try to break it, but no it was pretty strong. The top left I know, I just want to find out the middle weed. I finally am done with the project so I can dig it up and give you a full close up picture.

o

I do not know if it is pilea artillery form. I cannot tell, so I will post another two pictures for you to see.

o

here is another picture closer up

o

There are far too many Pileas I've never seen for me to give you a definitive answer. The folks on name-that-plant may be more certain one way or another.

o

Thank you, I have posted my question there.

o

Have you taken a sample of that plant, in a sealed plastic bag, to your local office of your University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service?

o

purpleinopp, I think you're right. With help from the other forum, the consensus seems to be that it is Pilea Microphylla. Thank you again.

o

Glad to try to help. I know you'll do the same when you have an opportunity!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here