Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with sticker bushes (briars)

Posted by digginforu2 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 20, 08 at 1:30

I hope I'm in the right category for this posting.

A few years ago we had a timber company come in and cut down several acres of pines that we replanted.

Now that the new trees are growing in, all along the outer edges of the areas cut down, we have a major problem with nasty sticker bushes or briars. I believe they may be some type of wild black berry(?) There is so much of it that we can't walk along the trails we made from the fire lines put in by the timber companies.

Anyone know of a non-toxic, organic spray we can use to kill these, if there is such a thing? Any other method to control this stuff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with sticker bushes (briars)

There are several "sticker" bushes that these could be, wild blackberry (or a cousin), one of the barberries, and others. The bramble fruiting types spread from an extensive root system that needs to be dug out, there simply is no spray that will kill them, no matter what those that like to spray will tell you. The barberries grow from a seed, usually planted by a bird, and while really pricky they can be yanked out and do not have a very extensive root system.
By the way, any spray, dust, or whatever, that kills someting is toxic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here