Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philippineshotel

Bermuda Grass Lawn Overtaken by Weeds - Help!

PhilippinesHotel
9 years ago

Background:
We live in the Philippines on the coast.
We have a Berumuda Grass lawn for our small boutique hotel.

Our Bermuda was poorly maintained for a couple months. It was overgrown and not properly watered. Then our gardener cut the overgrown grass too short. There were many brown and dead patches as a result of the poor maintenence.

Plan of Action:
Flood the lawn with a deep soak of water once a week.
Cut the grass at least once a week. No more than 1/3rd of height.

Problem:
I went on a business trip and returned to find the lawn had recovered nicely after 2 weeks of new regimen. However, there was orchard grass weeds EVERYWHERE.

Photos of the Weeds:
http://imgur.com/a/1yEi9

Theory:
Gardener put a layer of fertilizer over the bermuda. Orchard grass promptly took advantage of weak bermuda and there were probably thousands of orchard grass seeds in the fertilizer.

Question:
Here is a photo of the grass.
What exact type is it, and how can I get rid of it?

I had my staff pull out every weed they could find until the grass was clear. It filled many buckets. We pulled them out as deeply as we could. We mowed the lawn again after we pulled everything out. Two days later I see hundreds of new weeds already two inches high.

Is it new seeds germinating or is there a root system that's sprouting new stems? Do we just have to keep pulling them until all the seeds have germinated or does the root have to be killed somehow?

My town only has a "Kill Everything in Sight" weed killer, so if there is a method to elimate this without weed killer what is it? If there is a product that will kill this weed and it's worth importing, what is it?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21