Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okanagan_gw

what is this weed seed?

Okanagan
9 years ago

Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown here in Canada. Anyone recognize what these seeds are? Here's a link to my picture of the seeds:

http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/Listener9/media/somekindofseeds.png.html

Comments (8)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

I don't know.

But you might email the image to the company listed on the seed packet as they might have a clue.

Please let us know if you receive an answer.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

jean, I was thinking these seeds were found as a contaminant in a a packet of lentils for the kitchen, not for growing. This is bugging me because I'm sure I've seen those before... possibly in a packet of lentils! How about planting a couple and seeing what comes up?

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Oops, missed that small detail.

But yes, let's see what sort of seedlings/plants they will put out.

Edit to add:
    Perhaps contacting the packaging/distributing company would provide insights as to their most common rogue seeds.

This post was edited by jean001a on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 20:34

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I had a quick look for common weeds of lentil crops and none of them matched this seed. Intriguing.

• Okanagan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I'm growing some of the seeds, which were kidney shaped inside that husk. The first true leaves are very tiny little almond shaped things (7mm), and on a longish stem (30mm), That's a great idea to contact the company. If I do that, I'll get back to you.

• Okanagan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've contacted the company just now. I hope they can tell me what it is.

• Beeone
    9 years ago

Look up Sainfoin. It is a legume, like the lentils, but is used for hay or grazing. Doesn't cause bloat in livestock like alfalfa will. It is also catnip for deer. Livestock love it too.

• Okanagan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think you nailed it, beeone! Thank you so much. I came here to post a picture of the leaves, which do look like legumes. Sainfoin seeds on google images are exactly right.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of new seed and true leaves

This post was edited by okanagan on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 16:38

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville