Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The best way to kill English Ivy

Posted by Har0ld z6 WV (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 05 at 11:08

I have been trying to kill this pest for the past 2 years, but so far I have been unsuccessful. I've already tried these methods: Pulling, spraying leaves with Roundup and Brush-B-Gone, cutting the leaves and then spraying them, cutting stems and spraying, and I've even tried raking up the grass clippings after I mow my lawn and piling them on top of the ivy. All of these methods have either proved ineffective, or too time-consuming for me. My question is, is there any other effective ways of killing this stuff, or should I just give up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The best way to kill English Ivy

• Posted by JAYK 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 28, 05 at 15:56

There are ways to successfully control this plant. The subject has been discussed numerous times on Gardenweb over the past few years. The link below is a decent summary of many methods compiled by the Nature Conservancy. As for herbicide use for this, it is important that certain things are done for this to work well. For example, it usually takes the addition of a surfactant to the mix, and the use of herbicide label rates that are higher than would be used for easier to control weeds. You can get very good control though.

Here is a link that might be useful: TNC link

o

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 28, 05 at 17:29

Don't give up, there is no plant/weed tougher than a determined gardener :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything you'd want to know about ivy removal

o

PERSISTENCE.

Trimming it back, spraying extra-strong weed killer with a dash of dishwashing soap on the new growth, and repeating this process frequently helped me get some out of control ivy to a manageable level. I hated using that much chemical, but the previous owner would've let it take over the house she hadn't sold it to me first!

Good luck.

o

Apply Roundup (with a dash of dish soap) once a week for 3 or 4 weeks. Then pull the plants from the roots.

Some of the plants will re-emerge. Repeat the process on the ones that do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here