Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this a weed?

Posted by bman 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 13:59

I replanted my back yard with Black Jack Burmuda seed well over 6 months ago and I am starting to see this pop up in the grass in a lot of places. Before I replanted the grass I used Annual Ryegrass for one season and then killed it. I don't think this is ryegrass but looks more like a weed to me. I used Weed b gone and it did nothing....
Can you help me identify this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this a weed?

Maybe Orchard Grass (Dactylis glomerata)?

Unfortunately, you will have to either hand pull it or use a weed and grass killer that may end up taking out some grass in the process that you can reseed later.

This post was edited by mistascott on Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 16:56

o

Weed B Gone is a broad leaf plant killer and will not work on grass like plants, so an inappropriate poison was used here.
If pulling is not enough to eliminate this grassy plant then some poison that will also kill the grassaround it might need to be used, but puloling it out, roots and all, is the best choice.

o

That looks like a young foxtail weed to me. They get tall by late spring and have the sharp pointed stickers that get into dogs ears. I pull all my weeds because weed killers are toxic to insects and kill lizards.

Here is a link that might be useful: is this a weed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here