Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeds.....

Posted by Pikas (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 14:58

Hi I am unable to figure out whether this is a weed or moss in our lawn. Can you please help identify and advise as to how I can address this problem. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeds.....

Can you provide a closer picture? It is not possible to make out the structure in your photo.

o

Thank you for your response, here are some additional pictures.

o

here is another

o

and one more.....

o

That is a moss. Some think of moss as a "weed", a plant that you do not want growing where you do not want it growing, while others think of moss as a desirable plant.
Many think moss grows only in soils that are compacted, acidic, moist, and shady, but I have moss growing on the crushed dolomitic limestone that makes up my driveway that is in full sun and gets very little water, although the soil is compacted.
What are the growing conditions where this is growing?
Soil pH?
Amount of organic matter in the soil?
Shade or sun?
Constantly moist or dry?
If this moss is growing in fairly dense shade you may not be able to do anything about it except encourage it to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss images

o

As kimmsr suggests, it sure looks like moss but there isn't enough detail visible in the photos to be sure. It might also be a sedum such as mossy stonecrop (sedum acre) or stringy stonecrop (Sedum sarmentosum).

o

There is sufficient detail to say this is a moss but not enough to say which one. It isn't Sedum acre or any other Sedum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here