Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon2412

The battle against Bermuda

jon2412
9 years ago

Tilled a new spot back in late summer. In my past experiences with tilling in the lawn , the grass dies off . Not this time. I had worked in some leaves when I tilled and a few months later I went to check the beds and discovered the grass sprouting and spreading. The Augustine had died off but any and every piece of Bermuda had taken off. The first bed I picked out by hand. Absolutely the most difficult and tedious chore I have ever attempted. It took 6 weeks to clear one bed. The next bed I constructed a sifting table. This was much more efficient but still a grueling process. I will NEVER again till in grass.

Comments (4)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Tilling grasses might kill them unless that grass is one of the many invasive species like Bermuda. The only sure way to eliminate these grasses is to dig out each and every bit of root, unless you want to use an environmentally hazardous plant poison that may not work anyway.

• jon2412
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I refuse to use any poison. Working for hours everyday removing every little piece, I was not tempted to apply any chemicals. I am almost obsessed with keeping things as organically pure as I can. I know there will be some that I missed that will come back with a vengeance, but they are no match for human persistence.

• FrancoiseFromAix
    9 years ago

Jon I feel your pain, I relate, and I'm compassionate. There's nothing worse than bermuda grass.

I've also started an organic battle agains BG with cardboard and mulches, overseeded clover, sawdust.

Cheers for trying to remove it. I did that in one bed last year, and that was the most invaded bed a few weeks later. Which is why I'm trying other strategies this year.

Happy 2015 with no bermuda grass in your garden !

• tete_a_tete
    9 years ago

I am so happy to see this subject. And people who refuse to resort to poison.

Every now and then I announce to the family, "I AM GOING TO POISON THE COUCH GRASS!" And each time I feel a little dismayed.

The only thing that I have found kills Couch Grass/Bumuda Grass/Twitch is boiling it. But you have to dig it out to do this and no one here seems to appreciate my cooking, so I have stopped.

My partner reckons that we should try and shade it out by planting lots of plants. I am starting to think this way.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH